SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first sorry if my english isn't perfect. I had change my front brake pad 2 week ago. I have see that one of my piston was stuck. With so time and tools i got him and he was moving corectly. But yesterday i nothing that my front brake make a rubbing noise at very low speed so i think that the piston was stuck again. So the question is, did i need to change the piston or i just have to change the seal ? and at the same time, I supose that the best is doing it to all my caliper ? (My R have 181 000 KM / 112 000 miles on it)

Thanks
Chap

·
Registered
543 Posts
Most likely you'll have to sand down the piston and get a repair kit that has all the replacement seals. You'll also want to replace all the brake fluid, not just bleed the system. The sooner the better. If it's frozen, it can generate more heat than normal, cause problems with the rotor and the rest of the caliper.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hi, first sorry if my english isn't perfect. I had change my front brake pad 2 week ago. I have see that one of my piston was stuck. With so time and tools i got him and he was moving corectly. But yesterday i nothing that my front brake make a rubbing noise at very low speed so i think that the piston was stuck again. So the question is, did i need to change the piston or i just have to change the seal ? and at the same time, I supose that the best is doing it to all my caliper ? (My R have 181 000 KM / 112 000 miles on it)

Thanks
Chap
Depending on the overall condition of the piston, you may or may not need to replace the piston. We sell a complete caliper rebuild kit (seals and boots) and also have replacement pistons available:

Seal Kit: http://www.vivaperformance.com/brake-caliper-rebuild-seal-kit-s60r-v70r/
Pistons: http://www.vivaperformance.com/brake-caliper-rebuild-pistons-s60r-v70r/
Sorry to hear of your issues Chap, hopefully its a simple fix of sanding down and full fluid flush/change...however, ViVA has already a kit put together at a great price (and reputable!) for a rebuild kit and I recommend it highly - brakes are something you don't want to take shortcuts with.

GL.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
How difficult is it to change out the piston and seals? Do I need to split the caliper?
No, you don't. In fact, Brembo recommends to never split the caliper. Any mechanic would be able to replace the pistons and seals for you. It certainly can be accomplished if you are familiar and comfortable in doing so yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts