SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing my set summer wheels (Ixion 18") and Michelin Pilot Sport tires over to my set of winter wheels (Ixion 18") and Michelin Pilot Alpin tires (balanced last winter, with Hunter Road Force Balancing, but rotated front/rear this time), I noticed vibration in the brake pedal when applying the brakes over 65 mph. No such vibration existed last winter, and no vibration existed before the winter tires/wheels were put on the car (23K miles). No damage seen to the wheels or tires, no vibration at slower speeds, no vibration under acceleration or cruising, no vibration in the steering wheel, no inflation problems, and no pull to either side under accelerate or braking. Dealer suggests it might be a tire balancing issue or a rear brake pad/rotor issue. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to have thing checked out.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sounds like it could be rotors. But then again, I'm not a pro.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like it could be rotors. But then again, I'm not a pro.
This was my thought as well, possibly the rears since nothing was felt through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Spray your rotors with brake cleaner before you get your wheels balanced. Sounds like they may have grabbed the rotor with oily hands or gloves and it left a mark, therefore the braking surface is not consistent, hence the shaking of the wheel when you press on your brakes.

I like to do the simple things first. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like rotor run out, 4000 of an inch can cause vibration, you usually feel it under hard braking. maybe try reinstalling the tires on the car...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
They could have overtorqued the wheels and warped one of the rotors.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
They could have overtorqued the wheels and warped one of the rotors.
That's what I was thinking. Did you install them yourself (meaning OP)?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You had them balanced last year. First obvious step is to have them balanced again.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Would rotors be covered under warranty??
Ours were, but ours warped at 22k miles. For OP, I guess it depends on why they warped.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealership put the wheels on. So if they over-torqued, I'll not be too happy...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Front rotors were found to be out of round. They were replaced under warranty. (No balance problem.)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
24,193 miles. The warranty on the rotors is 4 yrs/50K, unless they're rusted.

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is a faint shimmy I get under hard braking in ours. We are past 20K service too. will not be able to reproduce on winter tires because abs will kick in sooner, so for now I am just watching how it develops...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Front rotors were found to be out of round. They were replaced under warranty. (No balance problem.)
Good to hear it was resolved under warranty.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Do both cars take the same lug nuts? I had a Firestone dealer swap my winter wheels for summer and the dolt used the winter wheel lugged nuts. It vibrated like hell and eventually tore up all four rotors before the problem could be diagnosed.

Swap the front and back tires, does the problem change? If so, it is a wheel/tire issue, not the rotors.

Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
24,193 miles. The warranty on the rotors is 4 yrs/50K, unless they're rusted.
Mine were warped pretty much the moment I brought it home from Overseas Delivery. I would feel it bad if I jumped on the brakes at high speed. I found a couple laps around a race track and it would go away and not come back for several hundred easy miles. I kinda assumed it to be Pad transfer on the rotor. So I pulled and replaced the rotors with bosch rotors and put Carbotech 1521 pads on and the issue has been gone ever since. I had a short stint where I had Brembo 4 pistons brakes on there, but decided I wanted to make the car Legal for Autox again so I pulled the big brakes off. I"m getting good at that I can swap it back and forth from big brakes to stock stuff in 30 mins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts