SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had my front brake pads and rotors replaced recently. Since then, I've noticed that my brake pedal goes down slightly lower than before, and it seems a bit spongy (but that could be my imagination). The braking force also seems slightly reduced but I assume that's due to the new pads not being fully broken in with the new rotors (?). What could be causing the brake pedal issues? Air in the lines, although my understanding is that the hydraulics don't need to be touched when changing pads?

Thanks
cinergi

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've seen a lot of bad mechanics dangle the calipers from their lines... Could have caused a small leak. Id bring it back and have it checked out. You might just need a flush. The fluid in the brake line closest to the caliper gets the hottest and if it's never bled out and never flushed you'll run into braking issues because the fluid is old and broken down by heat cycling.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a lot of bad mechanics dangle the calipers from their lines... Could have caused a small leak. Id bring it back and have it checked out. You might just need a flush. The fluid in the brake line closest to the caliper gets the hottest and if it's never bled out and never flushed you'll run into braking issues because the fluid is old and broken down by heat cycling.
Thanks, I have my fluid flushed every 2 years so I don't think the issue is old fluid. Also, the brake pedal feel changed immediately after the brake replacement so I'm sure it was caused by that. I'll check for leaks as you suggest, although I've had small leaks before (in another vehicle) and it didn't cause a difference in braking force or pedal feel.

Thanks
cinergi

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's your problem.
The Raybestos rotors and pads? Based on reviews I've read the general consensus regarding Raybestos products seems to be that they're roughly equivalent to OEM - not super high performance, but not bad either. Am I mistaken?

Also, even if they're bad, how could this affect the brake pedal height?

Thanks
cinergi

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't know, I don't think that aftermarket brake pads alter the hydraulic system but people are quick to blame them. You should just bleed them and see if that helps.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts