·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need front pads any recommendations?

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Stick with OEM pads unless you're doing track days, then get a proper track pad like Ferodo DS2500 (not Hawk HPS/HP+, those are crap).

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm replacing my pads as well. Anyone know what size tool is needed to take the calipers apart? Looks like a torx t-55 but I want to be sure before I go out and buy the tool.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm replacing my pads as well. Anyone know what size tool is needed to take the calipers apart? Looks like a torx t-55 but I want to be sure before I go out and buy the tool.
You don't need to split the caliper to remove the pads. There are two pins that hold the pads in.

Sent from my XT907

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Alright cool. What is the best way to remove those pins?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
As long as we are in pads, any good ceramic pad suggestions. I'm EXHAUSTED with the brake dust!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
As long as we are in pads, any good ceramic pad suggestions. I'm EXHAUSTED with the brake dust!
IPD now has front and rear sets of Akebono pads for the R. Have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went with EBC and there is less dust......Still stop's on a dime and gives you 9 cents change.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
IPD now has front and rear sets of Akebono pads for the R. Have heard good things about them.
Have not had Akebono on the S60R yet, but I had two sets on my (departed) 2001 V70T5M and a set on the 1998 V70. Nothng like them for brake dust and long life. As a brake engineer, I'd have them on any system I develop if they can meet the requirements of the vehicle.

Landru
2004 S60R 6MT

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Lol, surprised the Hawk HPS fell out of favor so fast.

I just get OEM pads from Tasca and all is well. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've been running HAWK HPS pads for 3 cars now, and love them to death. My friend runs them on his auto x/ daily driven rx8 as well. They have my recommendation. Plus they aren't that expensive either from EST

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am using Green stuff and love them. Brake dust was bad but now its not bad after a few k miles. Stopping is better than my oem

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just need the fronts so is it ok run oem in the back and something different in the front?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not a problem. But for the price point is not much to do the full set......

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went with EBC and there is less dust......Still stop's on a dime and gives you 9 cents change.....
Tim, what type of EBC did you go with? I was thinking Redstuff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That is what I went with. Got them from Carquest. My favorite Pad is Mintex Redbox pads but they don't make them for our cars :(

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have the oem rotors? Did you replace front and back at the same time?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have OEM rotors. 89k miles. Did not replace. Put some brake grease on them to ensure no squeal and worked like a champ (pads, back of course). I might have them turned next time. I have heard from people all the time to not turn OEM rotors but I have done it on BMW's, Porsches and Audi's with no issue. I even had the floating rotors of my 95 Euro M5 turned and they kicked butt.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts