SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my brake pads on my 07 S60R

For my first 50k miles I ran OEM rotors and pads, but when my warranty expired I switched over to brakeperformance dimpled and slotted rotors and the cheap (free!) pads they came with.

I am very impressed with the brakeperformance rotors, however the semi-metallic pads they came with are squeaky and perform poorly

On Rockauto, I am currently looking at this setup

AKEBONO - Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad (REAR)
CENTRIC - StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads; Para-Aramid Material (FRONT)

Questions:
1. How well does these pads preform/how reliable are they ?

2. Is it ok to run 2 different type of pads in the front and rear ?

3. OEM or aftermarket ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran the Akebono ceramic on my Audi. The good :: super quiet and little to no visible brake dust on rims The Bad :: I felt I lost a little brake performance (Seat of the pants) and after a few months the brake got soft; inspected the pads and I had lost the ceramic portion of the pad I suspect it de-laminated from the metal backing plate. Others on QuattroWorld had better experiences than I did.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Take a look at these guys. I've been using them for years and David will give SS members a discount.
Zeckhausen

I ran 2 different type pads on our MDX and found the fronts wore extremely fast. Now I use the same pads all around on all my cars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm looking for good low-dust pads too. I'm tired of needing to clean the wheels on m S60 after driving 20 miles with the OEM pads.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have Akebono on the rear and power stops on the front (no Akebono available)...works well also paired with brakeperfomance.com rotors. The power stops dust 3x as much as the Akebonos, but not nearly as bad as OEMs.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I just got a set of Portierfields from Viva and have heard great things about them, but there not on the R yet.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
I have Porterfield R4-S on all three cars. Braking performance is as good as OEM with almost no dust.

Contact George at ViVA Performance for information about them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have Akebono on the rear and power stops on the front (no Akebono available)...works well also paired with brakeperfomance.com rotors. The power stops dust 3x as much as the Akebonos, but not nearly as bad as OEMs.
Akebonos are avail for the fronts. We have Akebonos all the way around on both R's.

There was a post here a while ago that had a cross reference of what other car pads fit the R's. If you search maybe you can find it. May have to look at that to find front pads.

Akebonos dont have quite the initial bite as OEM. However, the tests I have seen published show that the overall stopping distances are the same or better with Akebonos, just the initial bite isnt as strong, so it "feels" a bit softer. The fact that the dust is light tan and doesnt stick to anything is a huge benefit for a street car.
Not sure I would want to run mixed pads on a car due to uneven initial bite.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes available for the Rs all around, unfortunately not so for our S80 I speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes available for the Rs all around, unfortunately not so for our S80 I speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aahhhhh...sorry. My bad!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run the brakeperformance slotted anx dimpled also. Akebono euro ceramic on the back. Ran the cheap inclided fronts (squeeks)on tbe front until the A,ebonl performance pads came in. ASP1001, i think, for the fronts. They are the same as the CTS-V rear, i think. They are on prevois posts and have very good stopping power with little noise and no dust!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've had great luck with EBC redstuff and yellowstuff pads. Since the R is heavy I'd go with the yellows over the reds. You can also try carbotech pads. Great reviews.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts