SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

Just had OEM brake pads replaced at 27k miles. There were down to between 2-3mm. A couple warm days last week in stop & go traffic and the brakes started to squeal when coming to a stop.

This is subjective, but if you've replaced your pads, how long did they last?

We are 50/50 city/highway. Don't ride our brakes, don't late brake either (at least we try not to). It's a heavier vehicle so I know it takes a lot of stopping power on the stock set up. That being said we like to come to a stop as comfortably as possible. :cool:

Curious to know how long your OEM pads have lasted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Front or rear? Rears are apparently lasting between 17 and 20 thousand miles

·
Registered
442 Posts
Front or rear? Rears are apparently lasting between 17 and 20 thousand miles
I’ve had rears replaced 3 times in 35k. Twice for rear disks. It pays to check regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rear pads at 30K. Front Pads just now at 50K. All 4 rotors were swapped under warranty at 40K, and the fronts again at 50K.

I'm OK with the pad wear - not my favorite thing, but OK...I'm far more concerned with the rotor warping. I'll push to have it under warranty for as long as I can. The second it's not under warranty, I'm doing it myself with after-market parts. Something's not right with the OEM set-up to warp rotors like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the front pads and rotors replaced under warranty for warped rotors at 26k but the pads still had a lot of life left. They replaced the rear pads at the 30k service and they were pretty worn down but the rotors were still good.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are brakes a big problem with Volvo’s? Our first Volvo is a XC40 and the dealer replaced the warped rotors in the front at 7,500 miles.

All the VWs I own generally go 90-100,000 miles on a set of brake pads.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are brakes a big problem with Volvo’s? Our first Volvo is a XC40 and the dealer replaced the warped rotors in the front at 7,500 miles.

All the VWs I own generally go 90-100,000 miles on a set of brake pads.
My S80 didn't need pads replacing until 70k . . and made it to 85k on its original rotors and original front pads. Seems to be a bit of a problem on SPA vehicles, but the SPA XC90 is a heavy vehicle, with adaptive cruise, and relies a lot on its rear brakes .. so we're seeing rear pads wear out in under 20k

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Just to clarify, brakes may be replaced for squealing but not be worn out. So when someone says they had them done 3 times in 35k, that was probably for squealing. There were a series of bulletin updates for this.

As for replacing them for wear, which is what I think the OP was trying to compare, I've seen rears need replacement as early as 12k miles but they generally last 20k to 40k.

For fronts, they generally last 30k to 50k.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My S80 didn't need pads replacing until 70k . . and made it to 85k on its original rotors and original front pads. Seems to be a bit of a problem on SPA vehicles, but the SPA XC90 is a heavy vehicle, with adaptive cruise, and relies a lot on its rear brakes .. so we're seeing rear pads wear out in under 20k
There seems to be many threads on brake issues with the SPA vehicles. My rotors warping at 7500 mikes in my CMA vehicle is not a good sign. I don’t like the adaptive cruise and Pilot Assist so I never use those. I’d like to think that will help me get better brake life.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What about rotors? My first set started to warp at 2400 miles. Dealer replaced the rear rotors (but not pads). What is causing them to warp so quickly? What can we do to prevent this? My car is a V90.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Greetings.

Just had OEM brake pads replaced at 27k miles. There were down to between 2-3mm. A couple warm days last week in stop & go traffic and the brakes started to squeal when coming to a stop.

This is subjective, but if you've replaced your pads, how long did they last?

We are 50/50 city/highway. Don't ride our brakes, don't late brake either (at least we try not to). It's a heavier vehicle so I know it takes a lot of stopping power on the stock set up. That being said we like to come to a stop as comfortably as possible. :cool:

Curious to know how long your OEM pads have lasted.

Thanks!
Tech, our resident Volvo technician, has stated 12,000 to 25,000 miles on an X90 is the normal time frame to replace brakes, depending upon driving habits. Baffled me too, but guess a heavier vehicle + driving habits, cause a greater wear pattern.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Tech, our resident Volvo technician, has stated 12,000 to 25,000 miles on an X90 is the normal time frame to replace brakes, depending upon driving habits. Baffled me too, but guess a heavier vehicle + driving habits, cause a greater wear pattern.
Not what I stated. So don't misquote me please.

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
What about rotors? My first set started to warp at 2400 miles. Dealer replaced the rear rotors (but not pads). What is causing them to warp so quickly? What can we do to prevent this? My car is a V90.
Most times rotor "warping" is a result of pad transfer from the brake pad to the rotor. The transfer is infinitesimal and really can't be seen if you look at the rotor but is enough to cause excess runout when the rotor is measured with a micrometer. It has something to do with the composition of the pad material and perhaps the metallurgy of the rotor. Many brake manufacturers recommend bedding in new brakes - Volvo does not recommend that.

My older model non-SPA car got new front rotors under warranty and I'm thinking about trying an aftermarket pad if they warp again. Front brakes on my car cost $2,500 at the dealer and I wouldn't be able to afford to keep the car if I had to replace rotors every 15k miles.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just to clarify, brakes may be replaced for squealing but not be worn out. So when someone says they had them done 3 times in 35k, that was probably for squealing. There were a series of bulletin updates for this.

As for replacing them for wear, which is what I think the OP was trying to compare, I've seen rears need replacement as early as 12k miles but they generally last 20k to 40k.

For fronts, they generally last 30k to 50k.
Not for the squeal you are talking about. I’ve never had noise issues with the brakes. Mine went in at 10k with a complaint about warping. The 1 hour trip home from the dealer resulted in metal on metal with disc replacement and had to be towed back. The second was a year later and about 11k. The third was more recent and included the front pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just got off the phone with the service department of my local Volvo Dealer. I have been complaining for the past 6 months for rear break noise and after a letter to Volvo Cars Greece, today I had an appointment to check that amongst other issues I have had on the car. In January the car was in for its annual service with 12.600 Kms (Please note Kms NOT Miles) and in March with 13,680 Kms they changed the rear hatch struts and inspected the vehicle for the break noise again and made a note to have a further inspection after another 5.000Kms.

Today the service manager with the car having only 14.850 Kms told me that the rear break pads are completely worn out and his advice is to change them at my expense. When I asked him under what conditions the rear break pads (which they have inspected just a month ago and found in good condition) wear out so fast, he told me that the car must have been on high motorway speeds for a long period of time and being a heavy vehicle the pads wore out. When from VoC I proved that the car has not been on any motorway since last year, then he claimed that I must be an aggressive driver and hence the wear of the pads, which also in not the case since my daily commute is only 7Kms each way on heavy stop and go traffic and this is when he blamed that heavy traffic commute for the wear of the break pads.

To cut a long story sort, I have to pay out of my pocket 140 euro (after discounts) for the replacement of the rear break pads only a year and 3 months of ownership of an expensive (for Greece at least 70K euro is expensive) vehicle, keeping in mind that according to the service department, SPA vehicles have a lifetime for rear break pads of average 15.000 Kms (less than even the oil the use in the cars, meaning that almost every year at least, I will have to change the rear break pads and every second year the front ones. And I am having an XC60 not the XC90. Honestly if I knew this information beforehand, I might have thought twice in owning a Volvo.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Not what I stated. So don't misquote me please.
I can't find the damn thread, but there was a discussion where you chastised me for saying brakes that needed replaced ~less then 20K weren't out of the ordinary on an XC90. Care to clarify the proper range that replacement is needed, then? From the low end of the spectrum to "middle of the road".

Driving habits of course affect brake replacements, with city drivers needing brakes more often.

·
Registered
13,958 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got 40k out of my rear brakes, should get 80k from the front. No signs of warping and no noise. I'm impressed.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts