SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Brake pads - OEM or aftermarket

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  R_Rated 
#1 ·
Dealer told me I would have to replace the rotors if going with aftermarket pads. I don't think I've been out of the hands-on business that long but then again this is an R we are talking about. Any thoughts on this?

Also, if going with aftermarket what brand would you recommend to keep dust and squealing down?

#4 ·
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
you do not have to replace the rotors but certain aftermarket pads may be harder on factory rotors. If you are looking for this kind of pad then maybe you should at least look at some 1 pive performance rotors from EST?

I think you'll find that the stock rotors are made of pretty good iron. I have used a variety of aftermarket 1 and 2 piece and a few sets of stock.

#5 ·
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
you do not have to replace the rotors but certain aftermarket pads may be harder on factory rotors. If you are looking for this kind of pad then maybe you should at least look at some 1 pive performance rotors from EST?

I think EST sells Hawk pads for the R. I think Hawk pads offer lower dusting and better bite than stock. E-mail EST, they were immensely helpful when I did the breaks on my T5 last summer.

LTA

#6 ·
Re: (LTA)

I got a good deal on a set of Hawk HPS from http://www.vivaperformance.com. I think they have great bite, but I don't know that they have much less dust than stock pads. The dust is a darker color, so may they do produce less, it is just more visible.

Overall, great pads so far. Give George a call or IM him, he is a regular here.

#8 ·
Re: (RhaRdeR)

Quote, originally posted by RhaRdeR »
Definately less dust fromt the Hawk HPS pads, much less.....One word of warning about the HPS pads, they don't like water or snow....Other than that they are a great street pad.. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I suggest Porterfield R4S... good bite, low dust, no issue in bad weather

#9 ·
Re: (JimLill)

I've had Hawk pads on my R for a little over 2 years now with no problems due to snow or rain. They definitely have less dust than the stocks ones.

#12 ·
Re: (Helmut Ranff)

Mintex Red Box (1144 IIRC) is also a good OEM alternative. Good price, good bite, and low dust. I run Hawk Blues on my race car, and the one thing I've noticed about Hawk brake dust, is that it's pretty corrosive. Maybe the Blue dust is more so than the HPS or Black dust, I don't know.

#14 ·
Re: (MASH)

Quote, originally posted by MASH »
I have used the Hawk Pro pads. The bite was great and low dust. However, if any of you with stock pads think that the brake "delay" (bite) when it is raining out is bad, it is twice as long with the Hawk pads (any of them)

Exactly..... I believe George from VP Tuning expressed the same sentiments with regards to the HPS pads and water.......

#15 ·
Re: (MASH)

Quote, originally posted by MASH »
I have used the Hawk Pro pads. The bite was great and low dust. However, if any of you with stock pads think that the brake "delay" (bite) when it is raining out is bad, it is twice as long with the Hawk pads (any of them)

This is not my experience with the Hawk HPS, but it has only rained a couple of times since they have been on. Next time it is raining I will pay really close attention.

#17 ·
Re: (RhaRdeR)

Quote, originally posted by RhaRdeR »

Exactly..... I believe George from VP Tuning expressed the same sentiments with regards to the HPS pads and water.......

To clarify, I believe I posted that this was also experienced with all OEM rotors and pads...

#20 ·
Re: (Johann)

My experience is that when it was raining hard, had to push brakes once to clean water off of discs, then a second time to actually brake.

HPS maybe feel better in the rain, but that may also be because of SS brake lines.

They teach you this in drivers education, my R wasn't immune from water on discs.

May get lots of experience this weekend, supposed to be raining at the ring on saturday

#22 ·
Re: (Our R)

Quote, originally posted by Our R »
I've had Hawk pads on my R for a little over 2 years now with no problems due to snow or rain. They definitely have less dust than the stocks ones.

HPS work great for me. No noise and way less dust.. actually virtually NO dust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.