SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I may be throwing my volvo around a track in august. VIR, and it has some nice longs straights. Its definitely tough on brakes. Ive had my GTI on smaller tracks and the GTI has less brake fad than the s60, and it suffered brake fade.
With that in mind, i need some track rated pads. I have been looking for EBC yellow pads. Ive found them in a few places, summit, amazon, etc. The issue is that they reference 315mm rotors. I checked and the rotors i have are labeled 316, both from stoptech (who made them) and the volvo OEM parts

is there any difference? Is the 315 a euro spec or something, or am i worrying over nothing?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Check with Carbotech for some pads suited for the track. They are in Concord, NC and I know the owners. https://ctbrakes.com/

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I used race-quality Carbotech pads on my GTI when I took it to the track. They worked beautifully. I switched back to street pads for daily use due to the horrible sqeeling when cold. PITA.

I think "big" tracks like VIR or Road America are actually easier on brakes than the smaller club-type tracks because those long straights give them a chance to cool. The Carbotech guy told me that one of the hardest from their perspective is Blackhawk Farms, a 1.9 mile course in Illinois.

Now this is just me, but if I go back to the track again, I would not go with dual-use street/track pads. I would (will?) take the time to change fluid and install race pads before I go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should reach out. I have stoptech rotors, which do a good job of stopping glazing. But after 3 100-0 stops my brakes were smoking, so i know these brakes aren't going to cut it on the track.

I found the EBC yellows on amazon for 80.

Ideally id like something i can drive to the track and back. I don't really want to change pads, go out for 20 minutes then come back, wait an hour, and change them again.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Well, no, you wouldn't change them between sessions, but sometime before your trackday and sometime after. Still, it's a pain. If you can find something that works well enough, great! That would be ideal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts