SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there different sizes for the different models/years of the v50? i bought them at advance auto and i cant get them to fit over the caliper. Never done brakes before but i am mechanically inclined. Is there something im missing? all the write ups don't seem to have an info on this

·
Registered
837 Posts
All I can say is that there are two dif size brakes on the front. 300mm and 320mm this refers to the rotor size. I assume that the caliper would then have to be bigger hence diff pad sizes. I have and AWD auto T5 sedan, it has 320 mm. Ive been told all awd have 320mm and fwd have 300mm but I cannot be certain on that. I would assume you have 320mm rotors. Go back to advance with your old pad and match it up.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
are there different sizes for the different models/years of the v50? i bought them at advance auto and i cant get them to fit over the caliper. Never done brakes before but i am mechanically inclined. Is there something im missing? all the write ups don't seem to have an info on this
I assume you're having problems with the front brakes?
The V50 T5 AWD automatics came with 300mm front rotors. The V50 T5 AWD manuals came with 320mm front rotors.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I assume you're having problems with the front brakes?
The V50 T5 AWD automatics came with 300mm front rotors. The V50 T5 AWD manuals came with 320mm front rotors.
''

So that is different for s40's? This is good to know

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
All I can say is that there are two dif size brakes on the front. 300mm and 320mm this refers to the rotor size. I assume that the caliper would then have to be bigger hence diff pad sizes. I have and AWD auto T5 sedan, it has 320 mm. Ive been told all awd have 320mm and fwd have 300mm but I cannot be certain on that. I would assume you have 320mm rotors. Go back to advance with your old pad and match it up.
I was under the impression that only AWD manual cars got the bigger brakes. I thought the AWD auto cars got the smaller ones. I've run into this problem before when ordering my Hawk HPS pads. I ended up just ordering the ones for a Mazdaspeed 3 because they use the same 320mm system in the front.

·
Registered
658 Posts
nevermind got em on. was not clamping down the piston
You mention the write-ups don't have info on this. What exactly happened? Did you use a brake spreader to open the caliper more?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I was under the impression that only AWD manual cars got the bigger brakes. I thought the AWD auto cars got the smaller ones. I've run into this problem before when ordering my Hawk HPS pads. I ended up just ordering the ones for a Mazdaspeed 3 because they use the same 320mm system in the front.
You're spot on here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well **** my AWD Auto has 320mm brakes stock. I know the previos owner didnt put em on b/c I have all her service records, including one to do the brake pads. The rotors in the front are even original. Im not saying I dont beliebr you all, but its a little stragne.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
mkd - are you complaining? bigger = better. your car came with a bbk.....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well **** my AWD Auto has 320mm brakes stock. I know the previos owner didnt put em on b/c I have all her service records, including one to do the brake pads. The rotors in the front are even original. Im not saying I dont beliebr you all, but its a little stragne.
Nah...just saying that's what I thought. I guess I was wrong. Anyway, consider yourself lucky :)

Is it possible that it was an optional upgrade from when the car was purchased brand new?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Volvo is known to do quirky things sometimes ;)

If the car was OSD, or a special order of some sort (diplomat, military sales, etc), they could have fitted the 320mm brakes on your AWD auto.
But you bring up a good point, in that one should always measure the diameter of the brakes fitted on your car before placing an order for brake parts.
Who knows, maybe the previous owner was a nut like the rest of us and did the brake conversion in his/her own driveway!

·
Registered
837 Posts
LOL no im not complaining. I just tend to dwell on things that arent supposed to be. It makes me curious what else is different on my car. Can it fly and water too? jk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts