SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need to do the brakes on my S60 and I was wondering if I should go with the stock or if there is a preference for an aftermarket set of pads.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Personally I always like Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, but the stock Volvo pads are just fine for street driving. The HPS 5.0 pads have less initial bite, but grab harder when hot and tolerate higher temperatures. You pay for it with increased dust and occasionally a bit of squeal.

Honestly, for most people I'd recommend Akebono ceramic pads. They're good on the street, quiet, don't create much dust so the wheels stay clean, and are usually cheaper than the Volvo pads.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Last time, I got Textar branded pads. They are OEM for various manufacturers, including Volvo.
Of course less expensive that genuine Volvo. Nothing negative to say about it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you've done brakes, then you'll have no problem. Rears are only complicated if you don't know what to do about the EPB, but it's simple enough to do without a scan tool if necessary.

Many posts on here. Do a quick search and you'll get all the information you need. If you need videos, there are a few on YouTube as well. Remember that all P3's are pretty equal, so videos for XC70's etc. will be the same.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've done brakes, then you'll have no problem. Rears are only complicated if you don't know what to do about the EPB, but it's simple enough to do without a scan tool if necessary.

Many posts on here. Do a quick search and you'll get all the information you need. If you need videos, there are a few on YouTube as well. Remember that all P3's are pretty equal, so videos for XC70's etc. will be the same.
Awesome thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Last time, I got Textar branded pads. They are OEM for various manufacturers, including Volvo.
For some Volvos perhaps, but the pads I pulled off my 2012 S60 were stamped with the Volvo logo and a TRW logo. So TRW is the OEM for the S60 - at least in the US. That said, I'll agree that Textar makes perfectly good pads.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I get to rent multiple cars per month during training for my work, so I got to try multiple different types of cars and they all kinda had a brake bite even with a gentle touch of the brake pedal, that I don't have on my 2015.5 S60, Any way to make my S60 Soft brake feel into a harder braking power from a gentle touch of the brake pedal?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I get to rent multiple cars per month during training for my work, so I got to try multiple different types of cars and they all kinda had a brake bite even with a gentle touch of the brake pedal, that I don't have on my 2015.5 S60, Any way to make my S60 Soft brake feel into a harder braking power from a gentle touch of the brake pedal?
Get cheap brake pads. Cheap pads often have high initial bite to make them feel stronger in normal driving.

The downside is that high initial bite makes it more difficult to modulate the brakes and can make them feel grabby in panic situations. Most higher end street pads have a more progressive feel but actually hold up better at high temps and will provide more stopping power overall with the added bonus of being easily to modulate for smooth driving with less chance of triggering immediate lockup in panic situations.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ugh, I hate when I get into rental cars (I drive fair amount of them myself for travel) and the initial brake application results in an immediate stop. Like zenmervolt said, it it better to have a gradual modulation of brake bite than a grab. That way you can govern the extent of brake application force for the type of stop you are looking for.

The worst offender by far was the Kia Soul I drove last year. A few times, I felt like my brain was going to develop CTE with the way the brakes applied at a slow (30 MPH) stop.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Get cheap brake pads. Cheap pads often have high initial bite to make them feel stronger in normal driving.

The downside is that high initial bite makes it more difficult to modulate the brakes and can make them feel grabby in panic situations. Most higher end street pads have a more progressive feel but actually hold up better at high temps and will provide more stopping power overall with the added bonus of being easily to modulate for smooth driving with less chance of triggering immediate lockup in panic situations.
Oh I see thank you for your feedback, I think I will get Akebono pads next time I get to change the pads. and Yes I want to keep the smooth gradual feeling since you guys mentioned it's better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts