SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my S60R to the track yesterday and after about 7 minutes of driving the brakes completely went out. I didnt get any codes but Im sure they were over heated. Luckily it happened gradually so I could get of the track safely. I have new ceramic pads front and back and I noticed the calipers in front had changed color, and stayed golden even after they cooled off. The brakes worked fine after 30 minutes of cool down and I was able to drive home but I am wondering if anyone knows what might have caused this, as I am hesitant to drive the car with brake problems.

Thanks in advance

-Davis

links to pics
good
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/brakesgood.jpg/

bad
http://postimage.org/image/nel7mqqjx/

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Heat caused it. Too much breaking, you got a GT? Titanium shims help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think this is what is typically called "brake fade". Others will pin in on it

·
6,436 Posts
Assuming you have quality parts, you should not experience anything like this after seven minutes on the track, unless you were riding the brakes constantly. I don't trust anything but OEM BREMBO rotors and pads.

I spend about 45 minutes at the track about a year ago and my brakes never overheated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
DUDE! You need new rotors bro! In the bad pic you can see all the grooves you have in the rotors. They look beyond done.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OMG, what pads are you running?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Davis, dude. Bad move, here's why:

Ceramic pads do not heat up nearly as easily as metallic (e.g. hawk HP+, ferrodo 2500) pads. This is simply a material property. Despite this, there is a similar (albeit smaller) amount of friction occurring. This means there is a similar amount of total heat produced. Since the pads will not accept this heat, nearly ALL of it goes into your rotors. On the R, this will lead to fade much faster, and over time complete brake failure like you experienced.

I could have sworn we talked about that at autocross. If not, my apologies.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
DSTC on too?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Wrong pads, and when was the last time you had brake fluid flush done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought ceramic pads were the best way to go for the track.... Obviously I was completely misinformed.... DSTC was off and it was the second run of the day. In line with the other posts the ceramic pads lost about 90% of their stopping power almost instantaneously when they heated past a certain point. It is possible that the streaks in my rotor are from the melted ceramic pads I will inspect later this week and post more pictures. It looks like I will be saving up for Ferodo pads/rotors and Titanium shims as well as bleeding the lines and running Castrol SRF.

And Joe, I dont recall talking about brake pads at the last autocross but I might not remember! Next time I will definitely consult you before hitting the track, even just for a practice run like this weekend!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow... that is one bad picture... Replace those rotors and pads if they are as bad as they look!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Spacers are the sh*t. Not only do they make the car look 10x better, but they add horsepower, it's a win-win.
Spacers are for rims :thumbdown:

OP, like others have stated, you have the wrong type of pad. Now that your brakes have been cooked be sure to FLUSH THE FLUID ASAP. Also get some new rotors and pads (of course).

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
If I see one more post about wheel spacers I'm going to explode. What kind of idiot ADDS to the unsprung mass of his performance car ???!!!!

... the horror!

... the horror!
So much horror Petew, 200grams or 7 ounces or unsprung mass off my performance car added 1 sec on my 4.5 sec car OH NOES!!! And OEM stock pegs are like feathers.

Talk to us when you're sober...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts