SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just did the rear brakes on my car. i installed EBC sport rotors (goldish, slotted and dimpled) and green stuff pads. i have about 300 miles on them now and am getting a brake squeal from the rear now, and occasionally getting a groan when taking off like the pads are kinda sticking. i have looked at them 2 times now, everything is tight, rotor spins free when turned by hand, and the spring looks to be normal as well.

the squeak/squeal only comes with light braking, not when you step on it hard... think of initial pad contact with the noise.

thoughts?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Did you lubricate the slide pins to make sure the caliper is moving freely? Also sometimes a generous amount of syl-glide to the back of the pads before install helps.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did but wasn't super libral about it. May have to go through that again.
Also I hav never heard of putting anything on the back of a pad...

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I did but wasn't super libral about it. May have to go through that again.
Also I hav never heard of putting anything on the back of a pad...
Volvo actually makes an "anti-squeal" lubricant that is supposed to be put on when doing brakes.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Mine do exactly the same. You just have to "learn" to live with it. There is a trick. Mine only squeal at the rear, if the are lightly warm. When cold or hot, they are quiet. So driving inside a village/town/city I every so often apply the handbrake for a few seconds so the squeal can't occur.

Oddly, and this is weird, if you pull the handbrake say a notch and then brake lightly, NO noise at all. I will put a little more tension on the handbrake (or for you US people: e-brake) to see if that works.

What also helps is to remove the pads and change sides... Left pads right and right pads left.

Have had my EBCs in now for like ~10.000 miles (~16.000 km) and it doesn't really bug me now. My old Volvo brakes did the same noises...

Btw.: the Greenstuff pads have an anti-squeal plate on the rear (that, what is "stuck" to the back).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol there wont be a learning period to it all. if i cant get them quiet, i may have some loaded calipers installed and take all the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here is an update.

Fixed my other brake, ha a caliper bolt strip on me and god a nifty socket set to extract stripped bolts

Works amazing.

Also brake noise is gone. Ended up takin it all apart and putting a rubber/fiberglass shim that ebc provides with the pads and lubed everything up well and all is good in the hood.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
so i just did the rear brakes on my car. i installed EBC sport rotors (goldish, slotted and dimpled) and green stuff pads. i have about 300 miles on them now and am getting a brake squeal from the rear now, and occasionally getting a groan when taking off like the pads are kinda sticking. i have looked at them 2 times now, everything is tight, rotor spins free when turned by hand, and the spring looks to be normal as well.

the squeak/squeal only comes with light braking, not when you step on it hard... think of initial pad contact with the noise.

thoughts?
Try bedding-in the pads, in most cases it does the trick.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts