SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a reasonable amount of life one can expect from the OEM pads and rotor on a 2008 V70? Do Volvo brakes tend to be more "heavily engineered" when compared to those of the typical American car?

I am now approaching 61,000 miles on my 2008 V70 and still have the original brakes. Granted, I drive about 80% interstate, downshift a lot, and try to coast whenever possible - but this seems quite good compared to prior (U.S.) vehicles. Pads on those would only last about 40-45K miles. Last time I was in for Volvo service about 7,000 miles ago he said I probably had another 10,000 miles to go before I needed new brakes. So far I am quite impressed.

I assume Volvo has audible (squeeking) wear sensors when the brakes get too warn; perhaps a message also displays as text in the vehicle info display? Thanks. - Stu

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Brakes

Have 39.5 k on the 09 v70 and can tell I'm getting close. You are doing better than most with 61k.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
What's a reasonable amount of life one can expect from the OEM pads and rotor on a 2008 V70? Do Volvo brakes tend to be more "heavily engineered" when compared to those of the typical American car?

I am now approaching 61,000 miles on my 2008 V70 and still have the original brakes. Granted, I drive about 80% interstate, downshift a lot, and try to coast whenever possible - but this seems quite good compared to prior (U.S.) vehicles. Pads on those would only last about 40-45K miles. Last time I was in for Volvo service about 7,000 miles ago he said I probably had another 10,000 miles to go before I needed new brakes. So far I am quite impressed.

I assume Volvo has audible (squeeking) wear sensors when the brakes get too warn; perhaps a message also displays as text in the vehicle info display? Thanks. - Stu
I've gotten over 90K miles on a set of front brake pads on a 2000 V70, about 90 percent highway driving. Different animal, I know, but high mileages ARE possible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've gotten over 90K miles on a set of front brake pads on a 2000 V70, about 90 percent highway driving. Different animal, I know, but high mileages ARE possible.
Now THAT'S pretty impressive Brad. I had to take a breath when the dealership quoted me on a complete set of pads and rotors about a year ago, but that was when the mileage was lower. If they tend to last this long I don't mind paying a bit more.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
It's all about driving style. I can burn through a set of pads in less than 1000 miles if that involves a few track days.
That said even, on my S60R I managed to make a set of rotors last 60K miles which included three track days...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Our 2008 V70 has 60,000 and my mechanic (not a Volvo dealer) says I'm good for another 10K. He also says the tools required to replace pads (and probably rotors) are over the top price-wise - which makes brake work on this particular model and year almost impossible. He says it's Volvo's way of assuring dealers get all the brake work. He also said for me to be prepared to pay closer to a thousand than 500 for all 4...

Guess I'll find out in a few months...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our 2008 V70 has 60,000 and my mechanic (not a Volvo dealer) says I'm good for another 10K. He also says the tools required to replace pads (and probably rotors) are over the top price-wise - which makes brake work on this particular model and year almost impossible. He says it's Volvo's way of assuring dealers get all the brake work. He also said for me to be prepared to pay closer to a thousand than 500 for all 4...

Guess I'll find out in a few months...
Hello Ken - that's similar to the mileage with mine then also. And that price does not surprise me either. We'll be going on road trip in the near future so the the V70 goes to the dealership tomorrow with 61K on the brakes. It will likely be in the neighborhood of $1200 from what I hear for pads, rotors, etc. all the way around, which certainly is not cheap. They give you a loaner for the day - in my case and S60 - so at least there is some small compensation. I could possibly squeeze a few more thousand miles out of it, but what with the trip and routine mileage the timing works out at this point.

·
Registered
770 Posts
He also says the tools required to replace pads (and probably rotors) are over the top price-wise - which makes brake work on this particular model and year almost impossible. He says it's Volvo's way of assuring dealers get all the brake work.
Really? I just looked up the procedure to do pads & rotors on Alldata and it basically says to do what you would do on any other car. No special tools are mentioned, and the diagrams look completely standard.

Not that I doubt the price, anyway. Dealer parts prices always shock me.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Really? I just looked up the procedure to do pads & rotors on Alldata and it basically says to do what you would do on any other car. No special tools are mentioned, and the diagrams look completely standard.

Not that I doubt the price, anyway. Dealer parts prices always shock me.
This +1!

Dealer is just trying to scare you into business, brake jobs (pads/rotors) are very simple.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A follow-up to my dealership visit today. it was there for an oil change and I was fully expecting the necessary brake job - pads, rotors, etc. all around since I was now at 61,000 - and I was totally shocked when I got the call midday from the service manager. She also had the tech on speaker so we could all chat about it. The tech wanted to know why I thought I needed a brake job? Was I having any problems like pulsing, etc. I told him simply that I've never had a car that got more than about 42K out of brakes and here I was almost 20K more.

The tech said I must drive like Fred Flintstone: The front brakes looked almost like new (actually 4 years old) and only showed about 10% wear. Said he wouldn't be surprised if I got near 100K at the rate I was "using" them. As for the rears, they were about 50% worn. This surprised me a little since I was always under the impression that the fronts bore the brunt of most stopping power. Perhaps it's because I've carried a lot in the back? I dunno.'......

Either way they saw no reason to try and sell me brakes. He said don't come back for brakes for at least another 10 - 20K miles. That made my day. Btw - I also had a lot of fun with the 2013 S60 loaner they gave me for the day. It's just the T5, but the thing moves like a rocket when merging from and entrance ramp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I read this thread .. because I my wife drives an '80 V70. $1200... uhhhhh. I use an 01 Escape as my Daily Beast. I finally had to replace rotors and the rear drums turned.. pucks/shoes and a couple of dead hoses at 214,000. Kid around the corner did it for $450. I think modern materials are simply a helluva lot better that ever. Still same exhaust and all major parts on the Scape.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our v70 2008 has 125,000km and still the original set of brakes. I wish I could say the same for the 3.2 liter gasoline engine. It is now being replaced with a seized crankshaft bearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts