SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing an oil change and a drain and fill on my ATF fluid the yesterday in the garage (definitely needed it because it was brown) when I noticed a puddle on the ground in the rear of the car. I was able to see that it was coming from the rear brake line that runs to the passenger rear wheel, next to the exhaust. The line is metal with a good plastic or rubber coating under it and judging by the looks of the bent metal nearby, a stone or something else hit the metal and the line which weakened the line. There is a mounting bracket next to where I can see the fluid. I am trying to upload pictures but imgur is having issues.

I also had a "Brake Failure Stop Safely" and "ABS/Anti-Skid Service Required" lights come up on the car between the first drain and fill cycle. The lights went out after I shut the car off. I also have a "Brake Assist Service Required" and "Engine System Service Required" lights that came on a few weeks ago and I am pretty certain it's related to the brake pedal position sensor. I have a buddy with a used one I need to link up and grab it ASAP.

I am going to patch the line for now until I can find a replacement for it. Does anyone know the OD of the line? I am going to Advance tomorrow after work to grab what I need.

Would anyone know where to get the whole line too? I checked FCPEuro but can only find the shorter sections that lead to the caliper.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm in a similar boat after damaging a couple of my lines trying to switch to ipd stainless braided lines. Going to attempt to reflare the bubble flares with the otc tool from Amazon but if that turns out to be a POS I was going to rent this companies nice tool and get their line and redo everything which I really don't wanna do.
https://store.fedhillusa.com/toolrental.aspx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brother has a flaring tool that I had planned on using if I can find out what size line I need for the patch. I have some digital calipers but having just moved and not unpacked everything I don't know where they are.

I have a buddy who is the only other person I trust to work on my vehicles I will look into bringing it to after I patch it. He was a Volvo tech for over a decade and is now an Indy but his shop is an hour away and my only other vehicle is my bike which is apart for some late annual maintenance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imgur is working again and I got home to post them up what I am dealing with. It is the hard line from the front to the passenger rear and is highlighted by the wet spot on the car:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and here is how the tranny fluid looked. This jug is all from draining the pan the first time:

Here is how it looked on a paper towel. Four rows on the top separated by the tears or space. Left to right was old fluid to newest in three liter flushes. New stuff in bottom right corner.

I got the car with 170k on it and she's at 194k now. I was getting hard 2-3 shifts occasionally and there is no sign in the limited driving I have done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kinda not a good idea to “patch” a brake line. You should replace that section at existing junctions as designed from factory. Leave the old piece in place while you bend in and fit the new one. Then either leave the old in place as an anchor for the new, or remove it. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts