SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced all 4 brake cylinders on my 544 as part of a comprehensive brake system rebuild. I ran into an issue. I had new front "flex" lines made, based on the one I pulled off the car. When fitted to the new front cylinders, they leaked at the fitting. When I pulled on brake cylinder, I found the fitting need to seal it in was not the same as the hose that came off. The hose was more of a flare and looking in the cylinder, I think it is concave and would need a DIN type fitting. No little cone in the bottom to go inside the flare at the tip of the hose. I got new hoses from the place I got the cylinders and they look just like the old ones. I haven't even opened the clear package. They would also need to be a little longer threads to get the nose of the fitting on the hose to press against the bottom of the hole in the cylinder before I run out of threads.

What type and depth of flex hose fitting SHOULD be on the front of this model car ?

Is there a 3/8" flare to 3/8" DIN adapter I can put on the hose to make what I have work ?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
It can be tricky, there were a couple of different flares used over the years. Also, you replaced the cylinders, so it may not be the same as nineteen-sixty-ump. I suggest taking both ends of the thing back to the shop that made them for you.

I would strongly recommend against using any kind of adapter or fitting.

FYI, I ran into this same issue on my 122S years ago and ended up using a drill press to reshape the flare at the base of the wheel cylinder fitting. Not sure I'd recommend that, but at the time it did work for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lines I had made are exactly like the ones that came off the old parts and just like the ones I bought from ClassicVolvoRestorations, where I also bought all the cylinders. I suspect the new cylinders are DIN and the old, original ones, were more of a standard flare. The new ones also have a deeper fitting. I ran out of threads before the hose bottomed out. I measured the depth of the cylinder hole and the length of the hose fitting and the hose was shorter. The shop that made my lines could remake them, but his supplier kept back ordering the proper fittings that he needs for his hose crimping machine. I figured I would get them from my go to online seller instead. That didn't work out either. This has to be the longest brake job EVER ! I'm learning more about drum pullers, tapered rear hubs, and brake fitting types than I ever wanted to know.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And to add to the issue is that my Dad ordered a pair of brake cylinders from Napa Auto Parts to see what they looked like and they were exactly like the ones from ClassicVolvoRestorations, so I can't say he sent me the wrong ones. I just need a hose of the right length with a DIN end on it that has the right amount of threads.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Do you still have the original cylinders? Unless they're total junk, it's not impossible to hone them back into good working order. In fact, it's pretty easy with a hand drill and a brake hone.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We took the lines and one of the cylinders to a shop that hot rod guys go to for all sorts of custom stuff. He's made braided lines for us before, but he is an hour away. When he saw the lines and cylinder, he pulled out 2 copper washers. He knew it was old style enough that they used washers, like a VW Bug. When we said, we tried and it leaked with washers, he made us two new lines, with longer "noses" and the fitting at the end that would seal by contact with the end. $38 for the pair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts