SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone-

Long time since I've posted here since moving onto the S60. But, I recently had to replace all 4 rotors/pads on my wife's '08 S40 since it wouldn't pass our state inspection. Everything went smoothly (I had done them once before) but after getting everything back together, one of the rear calipers won't engage. The e-brake won't engage on that side and it doesn't engage under normal braking. The piston retracted just fine when I was installing the pads (I made sure to rotate in a CW direction as I compressed it) so I'm not sure where to start. Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,485 Posts
Sounds like the failure the caliper of mine had. The caliper piston has a small hole in the groove where the dust boot sits on. Usually, that hole is sealed by the dust boot, but for some reason, it ends up being exposed to the environment. Moisture makes its way into the inner part of the caliper piston an seizes a part of the self adjusting mechanism.

Long story short: The caliper self adjusting mechanism is seized. Either rebuild the caliper or replace it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I used autozone for my daughter S40. Worked like it should and after 3 years, no issues. If you have time you can order on line and save like 10 to 20%. Glück

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the failure the caliper of mine had. The caliper piston has a small hole in the groove where the dust boot sits on. Usually, that hole is sealed by the dust boot, but for some reason, it ends up being exposed to the environment. Moisture makes its way into the inner part of the caliper piston an seizes a part of the self adjusting mechanism.

Long story short: The caliper self adjusting mechanism is seized. Either rebuild the caliper or replace it.
Were you able to retract yours? I assume being able to retract it doesn't mean it's still not seized?

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,485 Posts
Yes, it retracts fine. But doesn’t extend more each time brakes are applied.

Grab the piston retracting tool or a long nose plier. Turn the piston without applying pressure. If it retracts, it’s seized. You can try turning it the other direction, if it extends, same thing, it confirms 100% it’s seized

As you know with these calipers, in order to retract the piston, you need to press it in while simultaneously turning it. Otherwise will not retract without both forces applied.

If you’re on a hurry to make the car pass inspection, what you can do is extend the piston the distance needed to have the pads just near the rotor, apply brakes and it will work. But when the pad and/or rotor wears, the caliper won’t compensate for this gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts