SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Hopeing someone can help me. I am trying to get my R back on the road and the brakes were extremely squishy. I decided to upgrade to ss brake lines and do a brake fluid flush. First I replaced the brake lines.

After opening the reservoir I noticed the level was low, slightly above the min. The fluid I was able to remove from the reservoir was nearly black not even close to what I was expecting.

I started bleeding the front drivers side brake using the powerbleeder at 15 psi. Starting with the inside bleeder I got 1-2 oz of nasty dark brake fluid and then nothing. I try the outside bleeder... nothing. I tried the inside and outside bleeders on the front passenger side with similar results but only .5-1oz of fluid.

I tried pumping the brake pedal while I had ~14psi of pressure on the powerbleeder and still nothing. I am not sure what the next step is here as I do not want to put much more pressure on the master cylinder or reservoir.

To answer the easy questions... powerbleeder is filled with 2 liters of fluid. No leaks, pressure is stable.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do my s60 at 29psi, that is min Volvo vida say,
This is from vida, A bleeding unit that can pressurize the brake system to 0.2-0.3 Mpa must be used.
Remove the bleaders and clean the bleader ports/holes,
Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I am almost always doing work alone at my house so I am try to do this solo.

I can try a higher pressure but I saw a post somewhere on here where people were saying that above 20 psi you can damage your master cylinder and/or the reservoir.

My first thought today was that the bleeders must be clogged. I took one out and was able to blow air through it without any resistance. Even with the bleeder completely removed and the powerbleeder at 15psi there was no flow. If I press on the brake manually I get less than a half oz.

Not sure if this is related but I would guess it is. I am getting a whining noise from the engine bay when depressing brake pedal.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Typically when you can't bleed like that its a hose. You did change all 4.. Pull a hose off the caliper, or loosen, and see if it gravity bleeds through the hose. If not then pull the hose off the line and see if the line will drip. Process of elimination. Crack points till you get flow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help. Using a mixture of all of your advice I was able to get the powerbleeder to work at 18 psi and get 2 liters through the system. The amount of air and dirty fluid was embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, they can get pretty icky.

Volvo recommends a brake flush and fill (they call it brake fluid replacement) every 3 years/35,000 miles (and since brake fluid is hygroscopic, follow the dates more than the miles on this particular one) - is that a bit excessive? Well, plenty of American cars show that it is, but still, to get best performance, that's when they say it ought to be done.

Oh, and the darkening/black fluids thing seems to be fairly common. When I did mine at 85K - it was very black. The next time I did it (on the 112500 interval, actually about 113k) it was slightly brown, darker than original, but no where near as icky as the first time I did it. That has been consistent ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts