SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I replaced the AOC pump, filter, and performed an oil change in hopes of alleviating the problem. My pump failure codes have stopped popping up, but now I'm receiving codes for no communication with the DEM, and an AOC failure, indicating that the root cause of everything is likely a failed DEM. I will be sending it off to XeMODeX on Monday in hopes of getting it repaired!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I replaced the AOC pump, filter, and performed an oil change in hopes of alleviating the problem. My pump failure codes have stopped popping up, but now I'm receiving codes for no communication with the DEM, and an AOC failure, indicating that the root cause of everything is likely a failed DEM. I will be sending it off to XeMODeX on Monday in hopes of getting it repaired!
Keep us posted! Interested to see what is causing this all.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Checked fuses for DEM right? Xemodex has a troubleshooting flowchart they will have you follow first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Checked fuses for DEM right? Xemodex has a troubleshooting flowchart they will have you follow first.
Yup, checked fuse #17, and it was OK. Swapped it with a different one with no effect.

Is it possible that a bad DEM crashed the CAN-Bus, resulting in all the crazy codes I was receiving?

·
Registered
213 Posts
My thinking was that the DEM has to communicate with all the above systems, so when the DEM is dead you will get communication errors for all of the above, BCM, CEM, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too...

Is it possible that a bad DEM crashed the CAN-Bus, resulting in all the crazy codes I was receiving?
I also have a '04 V70R (6-spd man). I have twice experienced what you describe. First time about a year ago. Had the car towed in to the local Volvo dealership for diagnosis. They kept it for three days, drove it around and could not reproduce the problem. They shrugged their shoulders, returned the car to me and it has been fine for almost a year. I thought it might have been a one-time thing due to high heat here in Texas summer.

Today, I experienced the same symptoms:

- first come warnings about brake failure and air bag failure followed by loss of all power to gauges, turn signals, etc.
- engine continued to run (as long as I stayed rolling and in gear)
- AC compressor stops (no cool air) but AC fan and lights continue to function (as does the sound system)
- Only passenger side window functions (but only from the passenger door control, not from the driver-side control button).
- When I went to change gears, the car died. I was able to keep my foot on the clutch (while still rolling), turn the key off and then on and the car restarted with AC back on and airbag warning still showing. I had to do this rolling restart several times on the 45 minute ride home.

Only thing I noticed that has not been mentioned here (that I saw) is that, immediately preceding the failure, there was an clicking or scratching (?) sound coming from what seemed to me to be under the dash on the driver's side. Sounded like a relay or some other electrical component arcing or switching or something.

VERY interested in the results of your troubleshooting and if the DEM service fixes the problem. Please let us know how things go.

Thanks,
Corey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
XeMODeX has my DEM right now and contacted me today, informing me of extensive water damage to the electronics in the module, causing the failure I've been experiencing. I inquired about the issues I've been having with my 04 VR, and they confirmed that a damaged DEM could crash the CAN-bus and (specifically) will throw codes related to the BCM and CEM. Can't wait to get it back from repair!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The same thing happened to me last week, during a 600 + mile trip to North Carolina. I was 1 hour from my final destination and was driving through a HUGE rainstorm, probably the most rain I've ever driven in. Out of nowhere, the dash light up, Odometer, speedometer, temp died. I had every light on, including about 6 different error messages starting with Brake Failure, stop safely, all the way to transmission service required. I immediately checked the brakes and they were fine, so I figured it was a DIM failure. I pulled over 6 miles later for gas, and it had a hard time starting back up. Once it started, I realized it was in a limp home mode. AAA towed the car to a dealership that a friend worked at, not Volvo.

I let it sit overnight, and the next day still all the codes and no DIM. I disconnected battery and let it sit all night. THe next day still the same errors. I ultimately had it trailered back to PA. I orded a VIDA DICE from amazon and after 24 hours of agony trying to get the right settings and OS to install, I was finally able. I scanned it and cleared all codes and have one left. cem-1a64. The DEM isn't showing up on the network. It's red. I wondering if water got into the DEM and shorted components. I currently have the "anti skid service required" and have lost AWD. The DEM fuse is still fine and has proper voltage. I'm just glad to see that there are services available to fix this for a 1/4 of the new volvo price. I had it trailered home because I read horror stories of Volvo Dealerships randomly changing each module at $1,000 a pop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
We had a significant amount of rain the past few weeks up here in the prairies, so my thoughts are that the failure was weather-related.

Anyways, XeMODeX's rebuild DEM arrived today, and I installed it immediately once I got home. Thankfully, after some diagnostics and a test drive, all my codes are gone, and the car is working perfectly. So, for reference to those of us who may be having similar issues, a bad DEM is able to crash the CAN-bus, and cause communication errors with the BCM and CEM, resulting in the horrible mess of codes and error messages I had.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Anyways, XeMODeX's rebuild DEM arrived today, and I installed it immediately once I got home. Thankfully, after some diagnostics and a test drive, all my codes are gone, and the car is working perfectly. So, for reference to those of us who may be having similar issues, a bad DEM is able to crash the CAN-bus, and cause communication errors with the BCM and CEM, resulting in the horrible mess of codes and error messages I had.
Very good info. Always great to read a thread with problem + resolution

AOC oil and filter change now on my list for DEM preventative maintenance. Got software updates from dealer a couple yrs ago and there was a BCM comm error but all cleared and nothing since then.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Having had similar issues with CEM due to DEM, I had learned the CEM-reset procedure which is to stand outside the passenger door and lock/unlock cycle 3 times with the physical key.

DEM going to Xemodex next Monday and getting a new feed pump too, since mine works half-ass (as proven when under discrete battery power).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)

·
Registered
221 Posts
resurrecting this thread because i'm experiencing the same issue. i got the "brake failure" fault along with a host of others including the dem-0006. i do think the awd is out. i intend to replace the pump. thinking that dem may need to go to xemodex as well. a couple of questions;

1. did replacement of the dem seem to eliminate the cem faults?
2. is there a way to test the dem before sending off to xemodex?

i've got vida/dice.

btw, i've got an '05 xc70 with ~152k on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had random freakouts like this a couple of times, usually in high heat or very rutted road conditions. I also suspect the DEM (I've already had my CEM renewed by XeMODeX for an unrelated issue). The ABS failure resolves upon restart, which leads to me to think my DEM is not quite shot yet but may be getting there.

Has anyone with similar experiences tried installing iPd's DEM cover (here)? Do you think this relatively cheap fix could protect a fragile DEM from further deterioration? I'm thinking about putting one in before the rainy season.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Do you think this relatively cheap fix could protect a fragile DEM from further deterioration? I'm thinking about putting one in before the rainy season.
Oh yeah well developed el nino pattern is on! Gonna rain like eff. In 97 during last big el nino our neighbors were rescued by the red cross. floods, trees, mud, and crackin' 20ft long period nw swell

http://www.stormsurf.com/page2/forecast/forecast/current.shtml ""TAO data indicates +1.5 anomalies are in control over the entire equatorial Pacific, the warmest in years, presumably advecting west from the Galapagos covering the entire area west to the dateline. There is an embedded area of +2.0-2.5 deg anomalies expanding from the Galapagos to 155W (a dramatic increase to the west from last update) with +1.5 deg anomalies reach to 178W (holding). Overall the warm water signature continues to grow. ""

no the cover is just heat protect not corrosion prevention (I called an asked ipd yrs ago). How to determine of dem pcb is water corroded without disassembling the case? the pcb is motorola I think. Not the highest of tech.

For actual waterproofing of the dem module case against future water / snow / pacific ocean :p intrusion... no idea. Metal waterproof spray, plastidip clear, wd-40? xemodex claims to weatherproof the thing after repair

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh yeah well developed el nino pattern is on! Gonna rain like eff. In 97 during last big el nino our neighbors were rescued by the red cross. floods, trees, mud, and crackin' 20ft long period nw swell

http://www.stormsurf.com/page2/forecast/forecast/current.shtml ""TAO data indicates +1.5 anomalies are in control over the entire equatorial Pacific, the warmest in years, presumably advecting west from the Galapagos covering the entire area west to the dateline. There is an embedded area of +2.0-2.5 deg anomalies expanding from the Galapagos to 155W (a dramatic increase to the west from last update) with +1.5 deg anomalies reach to 178W (holding). Overall the warm water signature continues to grow. ""

no the cover is just heat protect not corrosion prevention (I called an asked ipd yrs ago). How to determine of dem pcb is water corroded without disassembling the case? the pcb is motorola I think. Not the highest of tech.

For actual waterproofing of the dem module case against future water / snow / pacific ocean intrusion... no idea. Metal waterproof spray, plastidip clear, wd-40? xemodex claims to weatherproof the thing after repair
Weather predictions aside, is the DEM shield worth it? For instance, has anyone here had intermittent DEM problems that went away after adding the shield?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The shield is good for before the damage happens, is worth it if you have a good/repaired module. Thanks for all the good info here, I'm hoping to send the DEM to Xemodex soon to get rid of that very annoying problem. At least I have the CEM And BCM repaired already! One more to go!

·
Registered
459 Posts
The DF code is the code thats causing all the issues, You have to go after the DF code everything else is happening due to that code. Theres only ONE thing that causes a DF code and that is a shorted canbus. The question is were is the short ? Is it a wire possible but not ussually the case. Probably inside a module. The first step is always checking high speed canbus resistance, Good network resistance is apprx. 60 ohms. Things like battery, altenator, aoc oil pump cannot cause this issue. If you suspect a DEM then just unplug it and see problem goes away, You can drive with it unplugged with no symptoms. If your not very familiar with volvo wiring diagrahms and handy with a multimeter you won't find the problem. These are diffucult problems even for seasoned volvo techs.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.