SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a wheel cleaner that cleans the brake dust off the wheels? When the brakes go I plan on getting ceramic pads but until then I'm thinking about a spray cleaner that will not damage the wheels. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you are looking for something you can get over the counter, Mother's All Wheel and Tire Cleaner will be your best bet. After the wheel is clean apply a sealant or wax and the brake dust will not stick to the wheel as much.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you can take your wheels off at ur house and just power wash them or you scrub em but the cleaner stuff I stay away from..

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Mr Clean Magic Erasers are marketed for cleaning wheels.

I haven't used them on my wheels yet, though. So I have no opinion.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
soap, water, and a microfiber towel

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You will still have to clean your wheels after switching pads. If you want many other opinions, check out Autogeek Online. It's a forum dedicated to keeping your car clean.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The griotsgarage heavy duty wheel cleaner is exceptional for cleaning heavy crud w/o damaging the wheels.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Simple green ftw.

·
Registered
348 Posts
autoglym custom wheel cleaner. won't damage our rims. stay away from strong acid wheel cleaners.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My neighbor used a bunch of wheel sealant after cleaning his wheels when he was parked on his driveway. The excess sealant dripped onto the driveway and sealed part of the concrete where the tire patches are, now everytime his driveway gets dirty there are 4 clean spots. Looks weird.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Use sonax, the best wheel cleaner hands down

·
Registered
501 Posts
I like P21S gel cleaner or Chemical guys Diablo wheel and rim cleaner. You can also follow up with a sealant/wax like Poorboy's wheel sealant.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Dish soap.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Mr Clean Magic Erasers are marketed for cleaning wheels.

I haven't used them on my wheels yet, though. So I have no opinion.
I used this on the engine bay, it took off all specs of dirt that were in deep crevices. I'm sure it would work great on wheels, but so does dish soap.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
LIKE body massage said:

Mr clean magic erasers work mint. they clean up the paint and remove the tough spots. I would only us them after the wheels are clean

I usually use a microfiber and dawn dish soap. grease and grime fighting action. then follow up with magic eraser.

I usually use like armor all wheel protectant to keep the dust off a little longer when done cleaning.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
LIKE body massage said:

Mr clean magic erasers work mint. they clean up the paint and remove the tough spots. I would only us them after the wheels are clean

I usually use a microfiber and dawn dish soap. grease and grime fighting action. then follow up with magic eraser.

I usually use like armor all wheel protectant to keep the dust off a little longer when done cleaning.
+1

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Does anyone use a wheel cleaner that cleans the brake dust off the wheels? When the brakes go I plan on getting ceramic pads but until then I'm thinking about a spray cleaner that will not damage the wheels. Any thoughts? Thanks.
You know ceramic pads will perform a lot worse than stock pads right?
If you don't want to give up that performance, I suggest you Plasti-Dip your wheels black, then you wont notice the brake dust at all! :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Once your wheels are clean, keep them clean with the stuff in this thread. Works as advertised, I was amazed. Only downside is a can is good for one or two times (all four wheels each time), and it washes off when you wash your car or handle the wheels. But it works...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Are we always going to have brake dust with our Rs? It gets bad sometimes and then a squeak comes from it. I just try to keep up with it. Is this dust from our pads wearing? Whats a good way to tell it is time to replace the pads?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know ceramic pads will perform a lot worse than stock pads right?
If you don't want to give up that performance, I suggest you Plasti-Dip your wheels black, then you wont notice the brake dust at all! :D
I had ceramics installed on my 2005 S60 AWD and noticed much less dust and no performance loss, but that did not have Brembos. Plasti-Dip to black? Not for me but thanks for the response.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts