SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about a year ago I had the Volvo dealer flush my brake fluid. I asked if they did the clutch also since it is part of the same system and they said no because it is more involved :eek: . Anyway, I since replaced my brake pads and, as usual, some of the fluid gets pushed back up into the reservoir. It looks like crap (grey) and the seal on my cap is bad; so if you want something done right ...

The owners manual calls for "DOT 4+ boiling point >536°F (280°C), P/N 9437433", which is superseded by 31400205 and 32214961. These are all DOT 4+, however, these don't seem to exist anymore. Volvo parts department talked to one of the mechanics and they apparently use 32214962 (31400206), which is DOT 4 Low Viscosity and a boiling point of 500°F. Apparently this is what they put in when they flushed my brake fluid (not the clutch line so there is probably some mix), and what they now put in all Volvos. The boiling point does not bother me much since I don't track the car but I am wondering about the Low Viscosity.

Manufacturers tout the Low Viscosity for ABS systems but what about the clutch system? Wasn't the 2005 ABS system designed for the normal viscosity DOT 4+ fluid? Many manufacturers seem to have 2 or more versions of DOT 4; DOT 4, DOT 4 Low Vis, DOT 4 Race... Looking at Pentosin, they have the Super DOT 4, which they say is for all year Volvos. Then they have the SL.6, which is the Low Viscosity for which they don't list Volvo at all. ATE's site seems to be down, so I don't know that they recommend.

So, there I am, over thinking this wondering what brake fluid to use... Any recommendations?

Thanks
Stan

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Any DOT4 fluid will work but I personally recommend Ate200 which is the OEM fluid. You can get it in various colors if you are frequently flushing it (Ate blue), but don't bother. You may want to re-flush the four wheels, since you'll be injecting new fluid.

Definitely flush the clutch. If it has never been done you're going to be shocked at the swampwater that comes out. Be sure to backflush it too, by cracking the bleed valve with the pedal *down*, the spring action of the flywheel will push fluid back out of the slave and do a better job.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will go with the ATE200 and will certainly do all 4 wheels then the clutch. I'm not sure if the original owner ever flushed the clutch or not but I have 150K miles.
The fluid looks contaminated (grey) in the reservoir. The brake pedal doesn't feel spongy but just doesn't feel positive.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The fluid looks contaminated (grey) in the reservoir.
Almost definitely backflow from the clutch line. For whatever reason the factory fill ends up as black swampwater in the clutch side. After flushing it, it will look fine forever.

You'll notice a slight improvement with fresh Ate200. Don't expect night and day, but better.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect the feel is more the brake pads. I went from Volvo pads that the car came with to Stoptech Street Pads. They seem very linear and do ok but just don't have the confident feel that I've had with others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts