SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's possible that i'm so dense that I can't find instructions for changing the brake/clutch fluid on an 05 R. does anyone have a link to write up?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Start with the left front and work your clockwise. There are two bleed screws on each bleed the back side first then the front of each caliper, and as far as the clutch there is a bleed screet that you can see unter the air box but if you are just flush fluid bleed the front left brake, pump the clutch about 20x then bleed brakes completely as instructed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here is a link to a pretty good writeup
http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=25434&hl=motive+power

I have a "motive power bleeder," I have used it a couple times, it is pretty sweet.
Pro tips for using the power bleeder:
1) use a little (short) bungy cord to hang it off your open / up hood's catch or fire blanket, so that it stays well above the brake fluid reservoir (to keep bubbles out)
2) put down lots of rags around the brake fluid reservoir - to catch every conceivable possible drop of fluid that might fall when unscrewing the power bleeder from your brake fluid reservoir. It is likely to will drip a few drops of brake fluid no matter how careful you are because of how the hose kinks when rotating the cap to unscrew... Other versions of power bleeder like products (aimed at BMWs) have a little release in the hose line to avoid this.
3) get a nice bleeder bottle with the little stainless steel wire loop to make bleeding super easy

Pro tips for an R car brake job in general:
1) gently giggle those little bleeder valves with your wrench while the fluid is bleeding out - you will loosen up and remove all kinds of crud
2) I personally wouldn't start the job without 2 of the standard containers of Volvo brake fluid on hand - though I understand a real pro can get it done with one
3) you will need a little pry bar of some sort to get those pistons back - a shorty stubby one that resembles a bent flat head screw driver helps a lot - be very patient with the pistons - they give way very slowly
4) if you live in a state that uses salt on their winter roads you may want to consider replacement pins (IPD has a kit that is pretty reasonable) - they get pretty corroded and sticky - you may have to work on them pretty hard - I have had luck with many medium force taps in rapid succession as opposed to really whacking them with a sledge
5) make sure you have a proper size punch tool on hand for getting the pins out - otherwise you will risk damaging the paint job on the painted calipers
6) lube up the pins before you put them back in - so that it will be easier next time

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start with the left front and work your clockwise. There are two bleed screws on each bleed the back side first then the front of each caliper, and as far as the clutch there is a bleed screet that you can see unter the air box but if you are just flush fluid bleed the front left brake, pump the clutch about 20x then bleed brakes completely as instructed.
Just to clarify, so when I'm pumping the clutch, do I leave the nipple on the front left brake open so the clutch fluid has somewhere to go or do I need to open up the clutch bleed screw?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I've always done it the opposite way - longest lines first (start at right rear). No problems.

Also have the key in position II while doing this, supposed to be better for the ABS system or computer or something. Also it will give you the fluid low message on the dash in case you forget to refill the reservoir often enough while doing it!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have a motive bleeder with the euro cap and have a universal. Get one. They like 60. Do the inside nipple first. The clutch would be a whore without a bleeder..i do the slave from underneath. Dont have to take the airbox out that way and mess with the cai. Just put a long tube from the nipple so it doesnt rain on you. I do mine once a year so wothout a motive itd suck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts