SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 94 GLT has brakes that occasionally chatter. I'm not sure if this is something serious. It just started recently. What is the cause and solution? Thanks

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to describe--except to say that it feels like the pad is vibrating against the rotor. It's not the ABS engaging type of feel. It happens sometimes when the car is going 30-40 mph, slightly downhill with light/moderate braking (to control speed). You can feel the resonance and it sounds like the car is 'groaning'. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can feel it through the brake pedal and the steering wheel. If I had to guess it would be the front brakes. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
It sounds like you have warped or scored rotors. That's common on the 850 because of the weight. It happened all of the time on our R. When you drive it hard or are heavy on the brakes, then it does it for a while. Then it'll go away until you are hard on the brakes again.

We upgraded to slotted rotors (additional cooling) and a slightly more aggressive PBR pad on our 854R project car and the problem went away. You may want to consider a similar setup.

Our setup for your reference was the PBR pad and Powerslot rotor from IPD.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the brakes are ok. I took it in a while ago to Bozzani Volvo in Southern Cal and they said the brakes are ok.

I was looking at ipd and they have the Bushing for Front Control Arm.
http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.aspx?subSubCategoryID=628

"If you're experiencing brake shudder, make sure to check the bushings on the front control arms. When worn they will allow a vibration from the brakes to be felt through the frame."

Could this cause it? Dunno, but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I was wondering if there is a place that sells urethane bushings for 850s?

·
Registered
942 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts