SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to replace my rotors and pads, but I saw a comment in Haynes manual that the caliper frame bolts need to be replaced. I pulled one out and it had thread lock on it. This was from the factory. I bought my 2004 XC70 new and only have 43,000 on it.Do I really have to replace all the caliper frame bolts?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow... You bought it new and only have 43k? That's about 2000 a year? That must be pristine.

I believe you can reuse the bolts. Doesn't seem like you drive your vehicle much or very hard.

Subframe, axle and brake boots all seem to be replace on maintenance.

If your in a pinch, I think you will be OK. If you want to follow the book, replace.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I probably will reuse and put thread lock on.
Yes, my car is in pristine condition. I used to have a 1986 740 wagon and used it for all our trips until I sold it in 2015. Both were also garaged.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Generally anything angle-tightened should be replaced as those bolts are usually over-stretched but I've broken that rule plenty of times (I don't replace the steering knuckle to strut bolts every time I remove them as an example - I do suggest replacing the axle bolts any time you remove them though as they are pretty small and relatively easy to snap). No issues thus far.

It's been a while since I did the brakes as my driving has fallen way off in recent years, but unless the caliper frame bolts (we're talking about the ones that mount the caliper bracket to the knuckle, right?) come with the pad or rotor kit from Volvo, I don't think I typically replaced them. I did for reasons I don't recall on the most recent brake change on my V70 (~2.5 years ago), which was ~80k after I bought it. I've never replaced the slide pins.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
On the brake calipers I think they recommend replacing the bolts to get fresh thread locker on them, because the bolts come with it. I've never replaced them and done dozens of brake jobs. Just use liquid thread locker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts