SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 s60..am wondering if I can gravity bleed my brake system? Not familiar with the abs systems, and need to get out as cheap as possible without buying the tool etc..always did this to my vehicles and seems to work well to get air and garbage out of the lines..any input is apretiated.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
If you want to do it as cheap as possible it might cost you a couple beers for a friend to pump the brake pedal as you open and close the bleeders.
I don't think you will get the air and dirt to just flow out when you open them without pressure.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Theoretically, you could... with someone helping you by pumping the brakes. But it'll be very difficult and you'll run the risk of winding up with soft or non-functional brakes until you buy the right tools.

Get a power bleeder and do it the right way. To extend the life of the power bleeder, use a turkey baster to extract as much of the old fluid as possible. Top off with fresh fluid, then hook up the power bleeder and just use it to pressurize the system. Between bleeding each caliper, disconnect the power bleeder and top off the reservoir with fluid.

I've used this method on my S40, C30, and 850 with positive results. Maybe put a feeler out on SwedeSpeed to see if there is anyone in your area who has a bleeder and could help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input..im in Birmingham al,see thousands of Volvo running around..can't find any one here ,there's not even a tuner here,damdest town ever lived in..

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I'll be in Talladega for the races this weekend. My mother in-law has surgery tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll be driving out there myself or riding with my father in-law.

If I end up making the trip by myself, I could come over Friday or Saturday evening to help you out.
Would I just need to bring the bleeder, or a jack and other tools as well?

Maybe we could also working something out... Paypal me $40 and I'll give you my power bleeder. Once you're done, mail it back to me (should be like $7 to ship) and I'll refund your $40.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Now that's some friendly helpers.

The Power Bleeder is by far the best way to do the job, not to mention the fastest and easiest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts