SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

Purge the Brake fluid this weekend and snap the rear passenger brake bleeder... thought will be able to get it out but no luck so far, drill and broke the easy out...so now looking at welding a bolt to take it out. Any suggestion ?. I did torch heat to expand and loosen the bleeder, no luck.
Now the last option is to replace the caliper with a used one, a few on ebay. anyone had luck with a used caliper ?

Now there is no leak so i ma considering to leave it like that as well, the fluid is new except for the last wheel (2 y old) . How long the fluid will be good for ? how often you change the brake fluid ?

Cheers

·
Registered
897 Posts
hello,

Purge the Brake fluid this weekend and snap the rear passenger brake bleeder... thought will be able to get it out but no luck so far, drill and broke the easy out...so now looking at welding a bolt to take it out. Any suggestion ?. I did torch heat to expand and loosen the bleeder, no luck.
Now the last option is to replace the caliper with a used one, a few on ebay. anyone had luck with a used caliper ?

Now there is no leak so i ma considering to leave it like that as well, the fluid is new except for the last wheel (2 y old) . How long the fluid will be good for ? how often you change the brake fluid ?

Cheers
How long do you want to keep the car?
I flush the brakes every 3 years.
You can:
A: leave as is. ( I wouldn't)
B: buy new caliper ( I would) Calipers are cheap (IMO)
C: buy used caliper ( I wouldn't unless going to rebuild)
D: take caliper off and work on removing the bleeder screw (maybe a quick try)
The choice is yours - Good luck

·
Registered
14,016 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
- They sell the bleeder, get the ATE type for $3 or so.
Search rmeuropean.com or eeuroparts.com for it.

- Inspect the hoses, if bad, time to replace them too.

- I'd not replace the caliper, personally, I'd remove the caliper, ask someone to hold it upward so the bleeder points downward.
Now drill it out with a drill bit, any debris would fall down. No need to drill through, just drill to enlarge the center.
You will be surprised by the time you get to the next drill bit, the outer parts of the bleeder is so thin, you can simply use a screwdriver to turn it CCW. Spray some WD-40 etc. ahead of time.

PS: This is why I always spray the bleeder with WD-40 or PB Blaster way ahead of time. It is winter salt that causes all these problems.
Don't use heat in a caliper full of brake fluid, which will expand and can explode! Brake fluid is flammable.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
How long do you want to keep the car?
I flush the brakes every 3 years.
My Porsche club region just changed the rules to every 6 months if you will take the car on the track. I shoot for every 2 years on the street cars. A local guy posted his procedure using his Motiv power bleeder. He takes the rubber booties off (and puts them back on) so they don't get fluid on them while bleeding. Never bothered me, but I probably will in the future.

Spoke to a rep for one of the major brands. The hydroscopic tests for synthetic don't tell the story. Non synthetic the moisture mixes in with/gets absorbed into the fluid. It doesn't with synthetic so there are basically pockets of moisture and pockets of fluid.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,365 Posts
PS: This is why I always spray the bleeder with WD-40 or PB Blaster way ahead of time. It is winter salt that causes all these problems.
Don't use heat in a caliper full of brake fluid, which will expand and can explode! Brake fluid is flammable.
It's the winter salt and the reaction between two dissimilar metals causing corrosion from the aluminum caliper and steel (alloy) bleed screw. I never had a problem loosening bleeder screws on steel calipers, but with the XC90, PB Blaster is our friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts