SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Friday my car tried to kill me...
Was going trough junction, started braking after before traffic slowdown, and brake pedal went into floor...
I managed to stop around 1 meter before rear bumper of another car, using hb and downshifting and limped car to safe spot to inspect. Well... pics included.

anyone had this happened with braided hoses? Had them only 2.5 years and less than 40k. I was expecting them to last a lifetime, as most ppl recommend them as proper brake upgrade. Certainly was not expecting this.

to add the insult to injury - called brakdeown assist and told them to make sure they note its AWD car, so yes - after THREE hours of wait they sent ... a van....
driver apologised as he wasnt told its AWD by hq and requested a flatbed but it was another hour of wait...
so yea... great great adventure...

what to do next? I will have emergency noname rubber hose installed soon to make car driveable but I will ofcource want to replace all 4 to proper ones. Was I unlucky with parts and should give up on trying to improve brakes and just go OEM all around? I have spent so much on best-possible quality parts for brakes and tyres (never skimp on any of those) that I feel like personal insult that it happened to me :(

20190405_182826.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0001.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Wow, consider yourself lucky. Well, relatively speaking. That failure should never ever happen. What brand was this? Was the caliper ever "hung" from it when installing or servicing?

BTW, while these cars are AWD, they are towable without a flatbed. Simplest way is to tow the car from the rear, with the rear wheels lifted. This requires locking the steering, of course.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, consider yourself lucky. Well, relatively speaking. That failure should never ever happen. What brand was this? Was the caliper ever "hung" from it when installing or servicing?

BTW, while these cars are AWD, they are towable without a flatbed. Simplest way is to tow the car from the rear, with the rear wheels lifted. This requires locking the steering, of course.
Yep, lucky star indeed. No, caliper was not hung (my thoughts aswell) at the time hoses were on. Hose brand is Black Diamond, fairly reputable and recommended brand in UK and area.

As for towing - well, I still think of it as gray zone. Have read Haldex' technical spec and some user's comments and it always seem like "yes, technically possible, BUT....". TBH I dont think its worth a rish and my OCD felt much better with car on flatbed, even if it meant waiting a bit more. I guess better safe than sorry?...

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Absolutely flatbed is best. After four hours though, I'd have been considering alternatives!

Definitely take up that failure with the manufacturer. Matter of life and death, after all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The fact it popped right at the bend near the top tells me the line may have been a little too short. You can really tell when the suspension is at full droop. Over time this will likely cause the braid to cut into the rubber. Never a bad idea to inspect these over time.

Can you measure the current line? What is the total length?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fact it popped right at the bend near the top tells me the line may have been a little too short. You can really tell when the suspension is at full droop. Over time this will likely cause the braid to cut into the rubber. Never a bad idea to inspect these over time.

Can you measure the current line? What is the total length?

the damaged braided one you mean? I will later on, no problem. I may need to compare it to OEM one when I get it aswell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah the damaged braided one. Get a measurement of that and compare to OEM

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the damaged braided one. Get a measurement of that and compare to OEM

Will do.
In the meantime, did some deep research and there may be an explanation to this issue:
there are 3 different part numbers for front hose for V50 that year.
30681723, 30681724 and 30681725
each of them can be found in ATE technical spec, pics included below.
Difference in lenght is just one obvious case, not sure if anything else. 1st part is for 2WD cars with 15-16', second one is listed as 320mm calipers or AWD with 16', last one is for AWD with 17'
In the same time most braided hose manufacturers list only 2 variations of hoses - for 16' cars and for 17' cars.

I wonder if thats the case...

wrong_front_30681723.jpg

wrong_front_30681724.jpg

30681725_front OK.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
The AWD one is slightly longer due to the difference in rotor / caliper. That may be your issue. AWD line is close to 18" or 450mm approx.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Shocking!! Thank goodness you didn't crash!

I've got Elevate SS braided brake lines on my S40. The next time I get it on a lift, I'm going to take a good look at my brake lines to make sure there's enough slack, though in your first pic, it looks like plenty of slack. :confused:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I measured the snapped one yesterday - it actually looks identical to OEM spec, around 425mm from thread top, just as the last pic of ATE hose, so it wasnt the case of wrong or too short, I think.
quaz - yes, there was enough slack and nothing was really stretched or fixed (no perma-fix with cable ties etc, everything was pretty elastic).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Been using braided hoses on race cars for years. They can stand much more heat and do not expand under pressure to give a firmer peddle.

However they are not indestructible . In fact they will break when bent or hit easier then regular hoses. They need to be inspected before every race.

That is why they are not approved for street cars. Last street car I used them on was my 1980 Camaro and one broke the same as yours. After that I haven't used them on my street vehicles for 30 years now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Been using braided hoses on race cars for years. They can stand much more heat and do not expand under pressure to give a firmer peddle.

However they are not indestructible . In fact they will break when bent or hit easier then regular hoses. They need to be inspected before every race.

That is why they are not approved for street cars. Last street car I used them on was my 1980 Camaro and one broke the same as yours. After that I haven't used them on my street vehicles for 30 years now.
They're not approved for street cars?? What is your source?

This is alarming to me because I put them on my S40 to try to improve pedal feel and I think the result is minimal. My wife drives the S40 as her daily driver (with my child in the car) and I will remove my SS brake lines ASAP if this is true.

EDIT:
I have done a quick Google search and what I've found has convinced me to put OEM rubber brake hoses back on my car. As I said, I've noticed almost no difference from stock with the SS hoses so it would be foolish for me to have these on my wife's car - or any car I own.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Wow, and I was thinking of going braided soon.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not sure if braided hoses can be in general treated as "not for street cars". Usually those should easily outlast rubber ones when still providing better feel and less expanding, also those pass annual inspection without any problems. Also for every case like mine there are hundrets of happy users without any issues.
I am still unsure what caused it in my case. Still awaiting some comment from manufacturer. Also took the second front out and inspected it and have to admit - it doesn't look healthy, not like 2year old hose for sure. Two rear ones on the other hand are perfectly fine as those more lay down and are not subjected to bending as much as front ones.

Btw - issue or no issue aside, I really hate my brake pedal feeling now. After being used to firm and responsive pedal, switching back to squishy-squashy "normal" feel is a bit of a letdown. Car brakes very well, no issues there - its just the feeling of initial "stomp" and pedal going a bit deeper than earlier with more spongey feeling - I don't like it and for sure I will miss braided hose feel. Not sure, quaz996, how you don't feel the difference but I can vouch 100% that feeling do change dramatically (for me and my driving style).

d89d9cd4-9573-42c1-bc4b-5ded1c23c5cb.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
508 Posts
As for the street use, I only know of one company in North America that sells DOT rated brake lines. Having non-approved lines could cause your insurance to become invalid in a crash.

·
Registered
664 Posts
They're not approved for street cars?? What is your source?
See above pictures.

I have seen rubber coated or extended strain reliefs on some that claim to be DOT approved but most I can break with my hand by bending them a few dozen times at critical points. The braiding is strong but the Teflon can be broken when bent.

Be careful what you buy. Inspect them at the joints with a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had a failure with a braided brake line on a previous car. Was slowing for an intersection and felt a pop in the pedal, then it hit the floor. Ran through a red light and was lucky that no one hit me. Had to use the e-brake and slowly get it into the closest parking lot. My failure was due to an bad install by shop, they didn't clip it back in properly and line rubbed until wore through. It's a terrifying experience. However, I've used braided lines on multiple cars since and never had any issues.

Your failure does look like line was too short as others have said for it to fail catastrophically right at junction.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your failure does look like line was too short as others have said for it to fail catastrophically right at junction.
Agreed, my thoughts aswell after inspecting both. Problem is there is no "longer" version for that car, thats the right lenght vs stock one so makes me think AWD should have its own custom-lenght braided hose lines, like 440mm or something, but I never heard any manufacturer (BD, HEL, Goodridge) making them separately, its usually 2 different vatiations and thats it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts