SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bradyohead's V50 T5 R-Design M66 build thread

Now that I've done a small bit of work to the car I figured I'd make one of these. I probably won't include regular maintenance unless it's significant.

The car is a 2010 V50 T5 R-Design with the M66 in Titanium Grey Metallic with the two tone white and black seats. I found out about the car because I wanted a manual AWD wagon with a turbo. I didn't think this car really existed but watched the used market for close to a year before this one popped up on Craigslist about 20 minutes from my apartment. Was in good mechanical condition, not amazing cosmetically, and had about 75k miles. It was purchased in New Jersey, lived somewhere in New York and Seattle before making it's way to Boulder, CO.

January 2016 - Driving it home:

May 2017 - How it sits today:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contents:

• R Design Badge
  • Interior Detailing
  • OBD Link
  • Rear brakes
  • Headlights and Fogs
  • Rad blue anodized license plate nuts
  • Engine Bay Detailing
  • Silicone coolant hoses
  • LP illumination bulbs / City lights
  • Super rad glasses storage
  • eFocus Torque mount
  • Fog lens correction
  • Cam Seal leak/ shenanigans
  • IPD Boost Gauge
  • KW V1 Coilovers
  • Focust ST gas pedal spacer
  • Exterior Detailing.......................................................................in work
  • Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator
  • Do88 Intercooler
  • Snabb Intercooler piping
  • Turbosmart Dual-Port Compressor Bypass Valve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R Design Badge
First thing to take care of was the R badge on the front grille. The sticker was gone, like most. I was dumb and instead of ordering from Dave Barton, I found the entire mount on Amazon and removed the bumper to replace.

Interior Detailing
Next up, interior detailing. The PO gave me the "I got kids, man" and the car was gross. The Denver area can get quite dusty and dirty which was evident everywhere on this car. I'll have a larger album hosted and linked on imgur soon but here are some highlights. Products used were a handheld steamer, 8:1 Optimum Power Clean, and Kirkland microfiber towels.
50/50 of the passenger seat

Some nest monster thing on the TOP of the right rear wheel well liner.

Shift boot trim.

Shampooing the carpets. Words do not describe how the smell changed after this day.

Winter pics
Got it out for some pics in it's natural habitat

OBD Link
No boost gauge was an issue for me as it's my first turbo car, so my (interim) solution was an OBD Link LX scanner paired to an old phone.

Coming from a 2.5i Impreza these numbers were quite different.

Rear Brakes
The PPI came up with the rear rotors needing to be replaced, so on went the Power Stop Z23 Evolution drilled and slotted kit with stainless braided lines.

Headlights and Fogs
These headlights are...not great. I replaced whatever halogen with Philips Crystal Vision Ultras. The PO had installed LEDs in the fogs that were too cold for my taste, so I went with a yellow LED I found on Amazon, the brand is called Calais.
Old setup:

New setup:

50/50

The fogs are pretty damn yellow. Honestly if they went out I'd go to a yellow halogen.

Blue LP nuts
Think I ordered something from IPD and was close to free shipping and these were on sale. Off went the rusted silver nuts and on went the blue anodized nuts. It's the little things...

Engine bay detailed
I knew I'd be installing new coolant hoses so I gave it a detail. Used 10:1 simple green to clean, detailing brush to agitate and aerospace 303 to dress. I don't have a before pic but think brown. Tons of dirt sitting on top of everything.

Coolant hoses
You guys scared me into dealing with the coolant hoses before they became a problem. This wasn't a fun project but was the most I'd ever worked on a car so I'm a little proud of it haha.

The expansion tank was cracking so I replaced it too.

LP illumination bulbs/ city lights
Followed the LED bulb replacement guide and thought it really classed up the rear end.
Before:

After:

Had a city light out so used the opportunity to put 4.5k LEDs in. Looks good in the pic but next to an identical 6k bulb they look yellow. Will probably replace them when I do another LED order.

Before and after:

Glasses storage
The waterfall console looks cool, sure. But when you can't see the tray behind it you leave your **** all the time. So in went the OEM glasses storage in place of the overhead handle. Groundbreaking, I know.

eFocus Torque Mount
Time to get to actual modding. This is the best $40 that has been spent on this car - after the blue anodized plate nuts of course. The install was a joke and the difference​ in shifting is incredible. Prior to this I thought I was just bad at driving stick. Now shifting is quick and firm and when I go into 2nd above 5k rpms the tires chirp. I don't know what effect these have on autos but I can't recommend them enough on manual P1 cars.

More to come!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Next up, interior detailing. The PO gave me the "I got kids, man" and the car was gross. The Denver area can get quite dusty and dirty which was evident everywhere on this car.
My PO had kids too but he had the car professionally detailed inside and out...

I'm still finding Cheerios and Dora stickers under the seats to this day.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh. I didn't think they made V50 R design with M66. You have the unicorn of unicorns. congrats!
Knowing the rarity of this car/trim/transmission combo I keep a running tally in my head. I'm at 4 right now. Mine, 2 that have been mentioned on SS, and another in titanium grey metallic that came up locally less than 2 months after I bought mine. I have a twin in this city.

My PO had kids too but he had the car professionally detailed inside and out...

I'm still finding Cheerios and Dora stickers under the seats to this day.

Peeling the carpet back and vacuuming was cathartic. I have permanent indentations in the passenger rear seat from the car seat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh, carpets can be nasty. Mine reeked of dog pee when the sunroof drains leaked into the cabin. That was nasty, but so satisfying to clean.
This car pushed me into detailing. The interior was just so bad and it was so damn satisfying to restore. Keeping it nice is easier now after one deep clean.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fog lens correction
The fogs were in bad shape. I used a 3M drill attachment kit that 3 step corrects headlights. Followed the directions and they came out great.

Before:

After:

Before on:

After on:

Cam Seal Shenanigans
Found an oil stain in my garage and traced it back up to behind the cam pulleys. Got it diagnosed as a leaky cam seal, and the dealership left my oil cap off, sitting in the engine bay. Thought it was running weird but it was snowing that day so I was driving slowly everywhere so it wasn't super noticeable. Until the next day when the CEL came on and I found my oil cap sitting by the front intake.

Carnage:

Not pictured, the oil that sprayed all over the hood blanket right above. They gave me a discount on the repair and timing belt replacement and I was on my way. Until I checked under the timing belt cover and found the two bolts that hold the cam pulleys on were beat to hell.

They replaced those for free on my 4th visit in and I don't believe I'll be using them for anything again.

IPD boost gauge
I wanted one of these for awhile. I chose the blue R gauge to somewhat match my gauges and ordered a custom pod from Ortiz custom pods. I tapped the back side of the vacuum line and ran it through the firewall through the main harness plug. I used a pen shell to keep the plug material from squeezing the line as I'm pretty sure that stuff is magical in nature. I'd punch a hole with scissors and it just wasn't there seconds later.

I pushed it through farther than that to keep most of the pen part hidden behind the glove box.

Ran the line behind all the panels, wired it to the headlight switch while getting to brush up on my soldering skills, mounted the trim piece with the pod and I think it looks great.

Off

On

I'd like the backlights of the dash to be white, not sure what that entails but may look into it soon.

The ipd kit is great, super easy to put together and has everything included. The gauge brightness is fine (looks off in the daytime and isn't too bright at night). The vacuum line connection on the back of the gauge is kinda long so I made room for the vacuum line to go down and out of sight by cutting some extra out of the trim piece with a dremel.

The silver ring on the blue gauge looks great with the bluish grey exterior.

Wiring:

I'm going to take the trim piece back off and do a better job sanding and repainting to look closer to the original trim.

The clear plastic in front of the gauges had some etching and scratches in it so while that trim was out I used a random orbital polisher with a pretty light pad/compound and took them right out.
Before:

After:

I may replace this clear plastic anyway as I'm pretty sure I took off some anti reflective layer and now when the sun hits it directly I can't see much. But it's fine 98% of the time.

KW V1 Coilovers - May 2017
At 90k miles the original suspension was getting rough - mainly with how much it bounced over the road. Suspension was my first planned big mod since I spend some time driving in the mountains and the giant wheel gap on the AWD cars but I hadn't decided lowering springs vs coilovers. In comes Brown9348's post selling his lightly used KW V1s so I figured it was meant to be.

Picked them up, ordered some Godspeed upper adjustable camber arms for the rear, got some help in the form of thefisch33 and another local auto enthusiast, and got them installed on a Saturday.

Camber arms vs stock

Rear springs vs stock

Rear strut vs stock

Rears installed

Fronts installed (didn't get a great front comparison)

Ride height before

Ride height after

I may go slightly lower, but right now I don't have to worry about speed bumps or steep ramps into parking lots so it may stay around this height. Still need an alignment and am considering corner balancing.

The coilovers are a bit firmer than stock but they don't bounce at all which is what I'm used to so I'm really enjoying them right now.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This car pushed me into detailing. The interior was just so bad and it was so damn satisfying to restore. Keeping it nice is easier now after one deep clean.

Now you just need to save for a nice hot water extractor.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Awesome build so far. Clean.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
car looks clean man good work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cam Seal Shenanigans
Found an oil stain in my garage and traced it back up to behind the cam pulleys. Got it diagnosed as a leaky cam seal, and the dealership left my oil cap off, sitting in the engine bay. Thought it was running weird but it was snowing that day so I was driving slowly everywhere so it wasn't super noticeable. Until the next day when the CEL came on and I found my oil cap sitting by the front intake.
Did it end up being the cam seal? I'm having a very similar leak - oil coming from somewhere around the timing/cam pulleys, getting on the belt and being flung up inside the plastic timing belt cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it end up being the cam seal? I'm having a very similar leak - oil coming from somewhere around the timing/cam pulleys, getting on the belt and being flung up inside the plastic timing belt cover.

It did end up being the cam seal, I check pretty often. A few shops tried to convince me that it was the pulley itself, since they use oil pressure for variable cam timing wizardry.

Yours sounds identical to mine. I was more confident that it was the seal since there was oil a bit farther inboard on the side of the valve cover, but still had someone confirm it. Those pulleys are much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Might be the oil filler tube o-ring. People forget about that one (not the one on the cap).

·
Registered
248 Posts
What lowering springs did you get 20mm or 40mm? Thinking of lowering mine don't know either 20mm or 40mm

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What lowering springs did you get 20mm or 40mm? Thinking of lowering mine don't know either 20mm or 40mm

Yeah what thefisch said. Went with coilovers since it's AWD and I got a good deal on a used set.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got around to putting laminx film on the fog lights. No more polishing them. Have a decent bit left over and decided to use some on the badge on the grille.

Gave it a polish first:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
She's a beauty! Your interior really cleaned up great. I would love to find a set of those seats some day! Beautiful. The PO of my Titanium Grey V50 had it detailed inside and outside, even the engine bay, before I picked it up so that wasn't an issue. However she had 3 Golden Retrievers so the 'chrome' trim around the shifter and door switches has toe nail dents and the cargo area carpet still has a bit of a doggy odor when the sun has been on it. But for the price, I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She's a beauty! Your interior really cleaned up great. I would love to find a set of those seats some day! Beautiful. The PO of my Titanium Grey V50 had it detailed inside and outside, even the engine bay, before I picked it up so that wasn't an issue. However she had 3 Golden Retrievers so the 'chrome' trim around the shifter and door switches has toe nail dents and the cargo area carpet still has a bit of a doggy odor when the sun has been on it. But for the price, I couldn't pass it up.
I appreciate the kind words! I'll hopefully be improving the white seats even more with a Leatherique kit that's waiting for a warm day. Only dents or scratches too on your door sill chrome? If there's some scratches I'd try some polishing. I have a dog that despite his size won't jump in my car and am thinking about cutting some lamin-x film to cover everything on the door sills to prevent that wear...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts