SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Enroute from Fort Worth to Austin (my first long roadtrip in my Volvo XC90 Inscription), the sound cut off, and a big cloud of smoke came from underneath the passenger seat! Naturally, it was terrifying for a few minutes, more so for my girlfriend, who thought she was going to catch on fire. By the time I made a rapid turn off to the break-down lane, the smoke had cleared (but with a strong burned plastic smell). However, now the car was like a ghost machine...no sounds whatsoever. That included parking sensors, emergency warnings, and even the turn signals. I took her to the nearest dealership that was overloaded with work, so I decided to wait two days for my dealership in Dallas. Thankfully my service manager knew what was wrong as he had just fixed another XC90 a few days ago with the same issue...turns out the amplifier can get too hot and short out. Apparently, Volvo is aware of the issue and has sent out new amps with much larger heat sinks to deal with the issue. So if your audio cuts off and smoke is in the cabin, don't freak out...it's just the amp.

This is the second time my car is at the dealership (first time the USB port didn't work), so I'm hoping things will improve. On the plus side, I was provided a XC90 Momentum so I could compare my loaded inscription with this model...I had second guessed myself recently thinking that I should've gone with a Momentum plus with all options rather than the inscription. Thankfully, I'm happy with my decision...the Inscription is much more luxurious inside, and the air suspension certainly does make a difference.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Have not had anything this drastic but we've been having issues with the subs falling off.

We had a major update performed in early November in conjunction with an oil change. The audio came alive with the richest bass we'd ever heard coming from the system. Three days later the subs were gone again.

Starting in Dec, the shop had our car for 5 weeks and we got it back last Thursday. They replaced some (IHU?) module that apparently costs around $3,000. Subs sounded okay when we picked it up and about an hour into the trip seemed to have gone flat.

Today had the chance to push it pretty hard and it seemed the mids were once again carrying the bass load. Could be physically felt in the doors. Middle of the door over the mid was pounding and the subs were just "there", not really slapping as they had before. No "mirror shaking bass" as others have described.

It's horrible that Volvo shelled out that kind of cash to fix something that it really didn't. Feel it must be a software issue that's clipping the subwoofer inputs.

Anyone else have issue with the subwoofers or "rattling the mirror" with the bass? Not happening here. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
This thread is VERY old, but there is a TJ out for the B&W amp. I didn't request it or anything as I had no problems, but my dealership informed me of it when I was in 2 months ago and performed the action. To me, everything sounds the same.

·
Registered
989 Posts
This thread is VERY old, but there is a TJ out for the B&W amp. I didn't request it or anything as I had no problems, but my dealership informed me of it when I was in 2 months ago and performed the action. To me, everything sounds the same.
Thanks. Did a search and this is the closest that came back. I'll do a search on the TJ but if anyone has it, please feel free to share.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Found it! Think I already passed this to the SA. Not sure if they applied, seems everything has an application based on chassis #. Will reengage.

From the Nov post:

The relevant technical journal is TJ 31810.1.0 and QB is A39773. These are for the audio module (at least in US).

Feel free to kick this thread to the dormant pile again.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Anyone has applied A39773 and any differences?

Thank you so much.

Found it! Think I already passed this to the SA. Not sure if they applied, seems everything has an application based on chassis #. Will reengage.

From the Nov post:

The relevant technical journal is TJ 31810.1.0 and QB is A39773. These are for the audio module (at least in US).

Feel free to kick this thread to the dormant pile again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Anyone has applied A39773 and any differences?

Thank you so much.
Sure did, believe in Jan this year. No noticeable difference (for me). Not sure what the deal was with our sub...it never performed to the level I'd expect from a high end audio.

That said, that B&W would knock our socks off with clarity in the mids and high range. Impeccable clarity.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sure did, believe in Jan this year. No noticeable difference (for me). Not sure what the deal was with our sub...it never performed to the level I'd expect from a high end audio.

That said, that B&W would knock our socks off with clarity in the mids and high range. Impeccable clarity.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts