SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So B and W is now the high end option on the new BMW 7 series. Not surprising, considering their brand cache amongst audiophiles, and given that I have to imagine that car stereos are a cash cow for high end audio companies.

What jumped out at me though it that on the 7 series, the B&W stereo upgrade, with the same amplifier output, 3 fewer speakers and 2 fewer channels of audio, is a $3400 option!

Makes me feel like I got a pretty good value out of mine at $2500 from the dealer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I understand that the system actually is integrated into the chassis of the XC90 to better facilitate bass frequency harmonic dispersion. That means more than just adding more speakers. The whole car is a tuned speaker cabinet.

·
Registered
962 Posts
indeed... from what i have read the vehicle was built in conjunction with the audio system not just building a car and then plugging in the parts afterwards. supposedly the the rear wheel arch is supposed to act as a bass enclosure and add additional punch and thump instead of burying a sub wherever it may fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The b&w should be an awesome system at that price. Ive had a b&w system in my 2012 jag xj and it was amazing. I have had a g63 amg and to get the system to sound like the b&w i was used to cost me upwards of 10k aftermarket

·
Registered
372 Posts
IMO.....Although nice and all, I do not live in my car to make it worthwhile to spend so much on a sound system. I'd rather allocate that to some other useful add-ons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I look forward to every time I get to drive my xc90 because I can't get enough of the B&W stereo. It is by far the best car audio system I have ever heard and WAY better than the upgraded Alpine setup in my Land Rover. If you can't understand why someone would get the upgrade its not for you. NPR will sound just fine on the base stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
What music do you play that requires an expensive sound system?
IMO.....Although nice and all, I do not live in my car to make it worthwhile to spend so much on a sound system. I'd rather allocate that to some other useful add-ons.
I also agree, much rather get other options like air suspension, etc.!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a chance to A/B the Standard stereo vs B&W. The Stock setup is no slouch. It sounds really really good (coming from a musician here). I had to go back and forth a few times to make full evaluation of the difference. I spent 10 min on B&W and 10 min on Stock. At another time, I even spent 30+ minutes on the stock, and I was still very impressed with its capability.

The B&W is definitely awesome, better in its basic setup (EQ flat all around with no effects whatsoever). There is a bit more clarity in the low end, with the bass being slightly tighter. The upper mid-range also has a bit more clarity (I think due to the front back facing front center speaker instead of up firing into the windshield). The main thing is the increasing adjustability with 2 separate subs, a 9 band EQ vs 5 on standard, and the various option for reverb. Some songs sounds much better with the Gothenburg hall (namely classical types). Having said that though, I would say that a good majority will not notice much difference. But, since I'm getting the Inscription, I went ahead and splurge.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know right, I mean why even force consumers to pay for a stereo at all

·
Registered
962 Posts
What music do you play that requires an expensive sound system?
Not sure why genre would matter unless you're listening to garage recording demos. My Father was a Recording Engineer. I grew up around quality audio and have it in my home. I like to have similar quality in my vehicles. I hate aftermarket systems and when a high end audio system is available I purchase it.

NPR will sound just fine on the base stereo.
Hahaha...

I got every option so I was not sacrificing one for another... I was looking at the vehicle overall not in terms of which one particular option would give me the most for my money. Which "add-ons" did you go for over the stereo?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I understand that the system actually is integrated into the chassis of the XC90 to better facilitate bass frequency harmonic dispersion. That means more than just adding more speakers. The whole car is a tuned speaker cabinet.
Perhaps "integrated" a little too much since the system turns the lower front door storage compartments into very poor, vibrating subwoofers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
is that when you place items in the storage compartments? when i tested it in the showroom and outdoors nothing vibrated or rattled at all.
It has more to do with the specific music I think -- or that's my perception. I didn't notice it for a couple months then suddenly with the right music, I did. It's still only occasional. There are a couple other topics dedicated to this issue here. If I recall, Volvo acknowledged it as an issue and had a fix in the works. I'm planning to ask them to when I take it in next month for the software update and recall, etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Let me just say that the standard audio system is fantastic! I was pleasantly surprised. Really gotta love music to pony up another 2650 IMO.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Let me just say that the standard audio system is fantastic! I was pleasantly surprised. Really gotta love music to pony up another 2650 IMO.
I was pretty impressed by the standard system as well. Is it as good as the B&W system? No, but it's probably more than adequate for most people.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Genre doesn't generally matter, however source quality certainly does.
Exactly. For example, the higher the quality of the sound system, the more you can hear the distortion of low-resolution satellite radio.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts