SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tough to not be swayed by the butt g meter, which is frequently nothing more than bias confirmation after buying ‘go fast’ parts and enjoying bolting them on. The car already has a fairly rigid structure. I bought it because I live in NY with terrible roads and dive a lot to VT where many local roads are dirt. I would not have bought the three piece bar only because I have had one piece bars on every other car. Mine was on sale at Viva and figured that it surely can’t hurt in keeping some chassis rigidity.
Yeah, I agree with all of that, and we're in MA and go up to NH frequently, so we're in a similar situation. Also agree that the platform seems pretty rigid as is, and this purchase says more about my inability to stop doing OEM modifications than anything else. Hahaha....

·
Registered
33 Posts
”what took you so long?” Had to unwrap it and then admire it(y)

·
Registered
839 Posts
It may be helpful to know that strut bar braces are designed to add rigidity in tension, the singe piece vs two piece is not much of a worry, well perhaps only to those who look at stuff and try to guess how it works, not to the engineers who design them. In simple terms the strut towers tend to "pull apart" under cornering loads. Of course the SPA doesn't have struts so this would technically be a shock tower brace. There is normally not much benefit to that; the shocks/springs don't bear any lateral loads. The upper arms I believe are mounted to the chassis in the shock tower area though, so we'll assume Volvo put a functional part there not just dress up!

·
Registered
92 Posts
@nbvolks what year is your v90? I'm looking forward to getting the same strut tower brace

·
Registered
218 Posts
@nbvolks I installed mine a couple weeks ago...personally, I can't tell the difference with or without it...but I do feel better knowing its there...also gave me a reason to get my engine bay detailed...was surprised how dirty it was from the past 3 years and 52k miles...

·
Registered
90 Posts
@nbvolks I installed mine a couple weeks ago...personally, I can't tell the difference with or without it...but I do feel better knowing its there...also gave me a reason to get my engine bay detailed...was surprised how dirty it was from the past 3 years and 52k miles...
same same.

I'll push the speed on freeway on ramps so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,
Will this strut brace fit VOLVO V60 iNSCRIPTION ? ( sw)
Please help as Im about to order the parts

have a great day !

So...taking a bit of risk and bought the V/S60 Polestar Engineered strut tower brace components (part #s below) to see if they'll work on the V90.

Many months ago I had someone measure the distances between the strut bolts on a V60, and it seems to align with the V90. It's also already been confirmed that the XC60 version is a direct bolt-on for the XC90, which is a good sign. I'll follow-up once the parts are in hand and I can do a test fit. In the meantime, here are the required parts and part numbers:

1x 32207450, Right-front attaching plate
1x 32207449, Left-front attaching plate
1x 32207448, Frame side cross member (aka: the cross bar)
4x 987515, Flang screw (aka: the bolts that hold the cross bar to the attaching plates)

So the cross bar is shared between the V/S60 and the XC60. But the attaching plates are NOT shared between the V/S60 and the XC60, because the angle of the strut tops are different and require different attaching plates! So make sure that if you're ordering that you're ordering the correct attaching plates for your application!

·
Registered
92 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts