SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, bought an 05 with 138k, one owner, and this thing is clean inside and outside. Of course the exterior has a few chips on the front but that's no big deal. I was just curious about motor oil, the previous owner was putting in mobile 1 synthetic oil. Should I stick with that or is there another brand that's better

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome! First of all, pics or its a civic.
+1!!!

I'm a big fan of Mobil 1, but like phish said, any GOOD synthetic should do quite well.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Castrol full synthetic seems okay for me, especially if you buy it at walmart. I cant believe how cheap they sell all their motor oil for. Its at least 10$ less than for a 5qt than the auto stores.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Castrol Edge 0w-30 Full synthetic in the winter and Castrol Edge 0w-40 Full synthetic in the summer.
Im happy with the way the car idles and runs with the Castrol

Many people use Mobil 1 though

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Castrol Edge 0w-30 Full synthetic in the winter and Castrol Edge 0w-40 Full synthetic in the summer.
Im happy with the way the car idles and runs with the Castrol

Many people use Mobil 1 though
I might go with the castrol, I've got another question, I've got an 05 s40 auto, driving this thing and between the speeds of 20 to about 30mph there's like a hesitation, shaking, I'm quessing once it gets into 3rd gear it's fine. Any ideas what it could be

·
Registered
963 Posts
I might go with the castrol, I've got another question, I've got an 05 s40 auto, driving this thing and between the speeds of 20 to about 30mph there's like a hesitation, shaking, I'm quessing once it gets into 3rd gear it's fine. Any ideas what it could be
I have what seems to be a "double" 3rd gear... it basically feels like its going from 3rd-4th but its still in 3rd. is it something like this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from a complete stop, stepping on gas, first gear is smooth and then once in second it's ruff and alittle vibration, but then once it gets into third is smooth and nice

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have what seems to be a "double" 3rd gear... it basically feels like its going from 3rd-4th but its still in 3rd. is it something like this?
I'd say, based on what ive learned from people here that its just torque converter lockup. I know how you feel, like there's extra gears in there haha.

quote from another thread...(im too embarrassed to link it because i sound like an idiot)
That's the torque converter locking up, the TCM does that at steady speeds to improve fuel economy. When you get on it, the TCM disengages it even without changing gears, to improve throttle response. Once the car does respond, it locks back up.

Basically the car has 10 forward speeds, 5 gears plus optional lockup in each. However in manual mode, I think it avoids locking up except near the top of the range.
and that was the best explanation i can find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts