SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - initial thanks for all of the great information on this forum. I have been lurking extensively.

My short story: I had my 03 BMW 330XI (242K miles - which I now need to sell :)) in at the local German shop for a coolant leak under warranty from a previous job. I enjoyed owning and maintaining this car very much but during some shop talk I found out the manager was selling his personal car, a V50 that he bought off of a previous customer. I thought the price was fair (5K but he took 4,500 and tossed in few free oil changes at his shop) and fell in love immediately. I have been wanting a wagon for some time and I love Volvos, I had an older model S40 for 6 years that served me well.

History: The manager knew this Volvo well as it had been maintained at his shop since 2013 when it opened. The previous owner was a traveling saleswoman so it has very high mileage (222K), but I also know she took care of every problem that presented itself. I have no reason to doubt she did the same prior to 2013 (she was the original owner since new). I am including all of the records that he printed out for me and I would love if someone could look through them and tell me if something seems off - I notice a lot of coolant repairs which seems normal coming from a BMW but I am still concerned.

Not included in the service records is that the manager installed lowering springs (HR brand). That is the only "mod." I also didn't include all of the oil changes and stuff like that. He also did work on the car off the shop's time so I don't have records for that, or much information.

The known problems: Upon inspection the passenger side engine mount is toast. I ordered a new OEM mount from FCP. I also ordered an upgraded torque engine mount from Elevate based off of recommendations on this forum. I did not order or inspect the left side mount, I should do that too. I also think I need new brake discs. Upon inspection they have some scoring and generally seem to be older. The car vibrates a little when slowing down (I can only feel it at low speeds) and I am thinking this is because the discs are warped or scored.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can't see the pics, but I will say that my S40 T5 will clear 250k by the middle of next week and it's still strong and a hoot to drive.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
$5k for a trans. Damn. That makes me glad I got rid of my S40 recently. It was pushing 170k miles, almost a 1/3 of those were tuned. But you don't read about many trans failures on here.

All of that work (sans the transmission) is pretty standard.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't know about replacing the tank and cap on a 1-2 year interval, looks like they were throwing some parts at a problem there. Rest of the stuff seems pretty normal.

New suspension parts should give you a good feeling.

Makes me glad I do my own work...! $14,000 over 60k miles would have me thinking I should have bought a different car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know about replacing the tank and cap on a 1-2 year interval, looks like they were throwing some parts at a problem there. Rest of the stuff seems pretty normal.

New suspension parts should give you a good feeling.

Makes me glad I do my own work...! $14,000 over 60k miles would have me thinking I should have bought a different car.
No kidding! I wonder what the records show for 2007-2013 (when these start).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$5k for a trans. Damn. That makes me glad I got rid of my S40 recently. It was pushing 170k miles, almost a 1/3 of those were tuned. But you don't read about many trans failures on here.

All of that work (sans the transmission) is pretty standard.
I appreciate your comment - the shop only uses new OEM parts so that might drive up the costs on a lot of this. Another thing, the shop only works on German cars. They were maintaining this car for the previous owner as a favor because her husband had several BMWs that he had maintained by the shop and she was keen on having them look after her car as well. A Swedish mechanic might have had better insight or quicker/cheaper fixes.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would say keep a real close eye on the axles... if a boot rips you may be able to repack it instead of a new axle. My boots went out at 195k miles, having it up on stands doing other work may have stressed the boots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say keep a real close eye on the axles... if a boot rips you may be able to repack it instead of a new axle. My boots went out at 195k miles, having it up on stands doing other work may have stressed the boots.
Thanks, I will take the wheels off when I get back into town and inspect the boots/fitment. I watched a quick ipd video on axles and it sounded like they were saying the vibrations will be more apparent when accelerating, versus my vibrations that are more noticeable when braking at low speeds.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I do not think vibrations when braking are axles... Most likely brake rotors. FWIW, my S40 has the smoothest braking of any vehicle I remember owning.

I had an Odyssey where the inner boots on the axles somehow allowed the grease to escape (no crack on the boots) and they developed the vibration on acceleration. At that point, the axles - or at least the joints - have to be replaced/rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
That wagons gorgeous good find!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not think vibrations when braking are axles... Most likely brake rotors. FWIW, my S40 has the smoothest braking of any vehicle I remember owning.

I had an Odyssey where the inner boots on the axles somehow allowed the grease to escape (no crack on the boots) and they developed the vibration on acceleration. At that point, the axles - or at least the joints - have to be replaced/rebuilt.
Thanks, the rotors have definite scoring - not quite the "substantial lip" that I am reading about but they aren't smooth by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Pads and rotors are not expensive and very easy to replace. Do them now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pads and rotors are not expensive and very easy to replace. Do them now.
I will, any that you recommend? I read good things about StopTech. I don't drive much so longevity is less important to me - I am also not too bothered by brake dust. I like high performance and quiet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts