SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I did a lot of research on this forum and finally settled on buying a 2007 V50 T5 wagon with 70k miles. I bought the car about 10 days ago. During test drive the check engine light came on. The dealer said it is probably O2 sensor replacement (I think they cleared code while we were there). First mistake I know, we should have passed on the car.

But next day check engine light came back. Dealer said to bring it back and he would replace it. We drove it about days when a bunch of warning lights came on, and the car wouldn't start. Got it towed to local independent Volvo mechanic. He could not start the car, and had to replace ignition switch. He also scanned and found a huge list of error codes (over 30). He seemed to narrow it down and said it required replacing front and back O2 sensors. Well he replaced those, but the check engine light came back. I checked with Torque app and it gave 4 codes P0300, P3000, P3100, P3600. I found that P0300 is related to ignition, so perhaps the code just wasted cleared properly. I couldn't find info about the other codes for Volvo (are they used by Volvo?)

Summary:
- bought car with check engine warning
- car won't start
- mechanic found over 30 error codes on initial scan (how is this even possible??)
- mechanic replaced ignition switch, front and back O2 sensor
- check engine light still here
- mechanic told me to drive around few days.
- I found 4 error codes through Torque app

Now I'm not sure whether to take it back to this mechanic or get second opinion. Mechanic had great Yelp reviews, but I'm confused how he can have the car for 1 week and not find all the issues. Any advice on next steps is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Lots of warning lights usually points to a failing battery. I would replace that (on someone else's dime) and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I figured it was suspicious when so many error codes came. I will get that replaced before taking it back to a mechanic.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Agreed on two points:

1) it's probably the battery; when these cars start having "a thousand electrical gremlins at once" that seems to be a common culprit (or another major electrical system anomaly like an alternator or ground, but that's less common)

and

2) If anything goes awry on the test drive, don't buy it.*

*In recent years I test-drove a Mazda that slipped out of gear, a VW SUV with weird noises + rear hatch that didn't open and a Volvo with an iffy ignition switch - not mine.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You should have brought it back to where you bought it, instead of paying another shop. Now the dealer can blame them for any electrical problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts