SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^damn that sucks man. So whats the part number/ exact part that needs replacing when the wheel bearing goes bad? its the whole hub right?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Why not order the parts yourself from places like Eurosport Tuning? You'll be able to get them for half the price of a stealership. Take them to a trusted indie guy or to the stealership and have them do the labour.

Unfortunately with our cars you have to buy the hub, which includes the bearing.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have how-to's on youtube from my S40.

I went with Timken Bearings. All I really needed is a ball joint seperator (loan-a-tool) and a 12 ton press ($120 at Princess Auto, you Harbor Freight equivalent)

You can buy the hubs on rockauto.com and use 18DF53BB27E8AA for 5% off

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I just went ahead and had the stealership do it for one main reason: lifetime warranty. The stories I hear of people replacing them 2 or 3 times and now I'll never have to worry about it again. Plus I don't feel like doing the hubs in my apartment parking lot
+1 on the new warranty, especially for these.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
wow yeah just watched some how-to's... what a pain. i feel like i could do it, all my suspension bolts have been taken off or replaced recently so taking it all apart isnt a big deal... but taking the hub out of the knuckle/spindle would suck-- and then pressing the new hub/bearing in would be where it gets to be too much for someone like me.

I recommend using a hammer rather than a pickle fork or something that could rip the LCA balljoint boot. It only took light tapping with a hammer on the knuckle for the balljoint to come out nice and clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts