SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I haven't been on the boards lately in the past few years. My car needs all new struts and tires. Volvo quoted me $5K! I really need to get this fixed asap. I hardly drive the car anymore because of it. Does anyone know a place near the Boston area that would give me a good deal and do a great job? I currently live in the heart of boston. T.I.A

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Are you sure your struts are bad, i.e. are they leaking? Lots of other things can go bad like the strut mounts and LCAs and all kinds of other bushings so you should make sure you need an expensive set of struts to get rid of your issues and not just some cheaper rubber.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure your struts are bad, i.e. are they leaking? Lots of other things can go bad like the strut mounts and LCAs and all kinds of other bushings so you should make sure you need an expensive set of struts to get rid of your issues and not just some cheaper rubber.
They were leaking for awhile, over a year I would say. The pot holes in boston absolutely wrecked the suspension. I can feel every bump and the ride is very harsh.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My advice would be to buy the struts online (Rockauto usually has them) for about half what the dealer or even an indy will get them for and then get them installed at an indy. That's what I did.

I use Advanced Auto out in Newton. Friendly guys, let you supply your own parts, and most of the time do a great job. Only issue I've had is they can't seem to figure out how to reattach the charge air pipe to the turbo correctly (it's a v-band...it needs to be around BOTH flanges) but you wouldn't have that problem with an 06.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
If it's not far for you: ashland motors at hopkinton ma. Dean is the owner and knows R well. Few of us going to this place. Prices are good too. He also has a beater I mean loaner while your car is in service.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your help!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Swansson in Brookline knows Volvos very well and do a good job. They do not allow you to source your own parts any more (used to). Swedish motor works in Concord. 90% but they do let you bring your own parts. As others have said - buy the shocks at Rockauto and you;re all set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts