SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 08 V8 is at 60,000 miles and I have the masochistic urge to change the plugs. I changed the plugs in my S80 V8 at 70,000 with Bosch iridium 9603 https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/spark-plugs/double-iridium-spark-plugs?partID=9603 I don't know if it is the butt dyno malfunctioning or if it isn't as smooth. Anyone have a similar experience?

The Bosch plugs are half the price of the NGK plugs. $50 is enough of a difference to make me wonder if there is a difference. The Bosch plugs have 50,000 miles on the S80 and the car has been fine. Has anyone else put Bosch in and either felt or not felt a difference?

The brochure says it is the best choice for my vehicle! ;)
https://www.boschautoparts.com/documents/101512/0/0/7cacfcc7-745a-4249-9916-bf8079c7a542

·
Registered
296 Posts
I run the NGKS, no problems here. But I have heard that people do have issues from time to time running plugs other than bosch. Im faaaaaar from stock so Im sure that makes a difference. Im gapped to .024 running 25 psi 1 step colder plugs. I would run what works best in your vehicle. Manufacturers recommended is probably best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both V8s are stock. The car came with NGK. The Boschs are about $6 each, the NGK are about $12 each. The S80 has not had a hiccup with the Boschs. The XC90 with 60k seems smoother than the S80 with 120k. But my S80 also doesn't shift as smooth as her XC90. Maybe it's a defective butt dyno.

·
Registered
296 Posts
How long since your butt dyno has been calibrated?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rock auto wont ship to my zip code. The Wayfair Supreme Court decision. Im seeing about 12 for NGK and under 6 for Bosch.

The bottom line question is has anyone else switched from NGK to Bosch, and if they did, did they notice any difference? I am running Bosch in my Swedish car with the Japanese motor, and NGK in my German car with the German motor. BMW put NGK and Bosch in the 128i. Mine came with NGK and they were on sale when I swapped them last year.

How long since your butt dyno has been calibrated?

That's between me and my proctologist! Probably the last time I had beans?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've ran NGK, Denso and Bosch in my cars. I've had Bosch in my 2.5, but only ran them for a year and then removed. Butt dyno preferred NGKs or Denso.

Why not use NGK Iridium IX, instead of Laser Iridiums? I think the Bosch 9603 is just a standard Iridium plug, like the IX. Don't think you'll find much difference between the IX and Laser. Price for IX is around $7-8/ea for an IX at most major auto part stores.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use iridium ix as well. Love em.

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
Hi

Just curious when you guys typically replace the plugs on a V8 ? for the V8 VIDA suggest replacement every 75K miles and it is every 60K miles for the 3.2 and 2.5 engine...

so 60K or 75K ?

Cheers :grinsanta::grinsanta::grinsanta:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just changed mine at 75k miles (120k km) don't feel any different and am going to clean the old set as troubleshooting parts...
bought volvo plugs as they come out cheapest as well so don't see any reason to go for anything else really! Can't say I know enough to read these however, but the car do have a hard life with many short trips (it's a daily).
rear

front

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I think you've "read" all there is to "read." They all look the same and none of them look bad. Carry on. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts