SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What job are you doing that you need those?

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Repair manual calls for it when replacing the front struts. I haven't attempted the job yet, but people's alternate methods (involving things like standing on a breaker bar) seem a little bit sketchy, and I have a cramped garage where I often struggle to get adequate space and leverage for brute force methods. Plus I'm scrawny. I like having the right tool for the job, but a $100 tool for a job I'm likely only going to do once is a bit much.

Open to other options though!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I never used that tool in my 15+ years of work for Volvo...

Leave lower BJ attached.
Take ABS sensor connector off.
Loosen link rod nut and strut pinch bolt.
Loosen Axle bolt and hammer with brass punch to loosen.
Sit on lower control arm tool while hammering knuckle downward. https://www.amazon.com/SIM-TOOLS-LCAT6803-Lower-Control/dp/B00PHMGT6K

5 second job in my shop.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Agree with above. This tool is not needed. Just make sure you have a heavy weight sledge to knock out ball joint and something long to pry the control arm down with (this is probably the trickiest part). Also, be sure to wedge something in where the pinch bolts goes so that the strut slides out without too much trouble. If you thread the screw in from the other side and put a flat head in the space you can pry the pinch open,

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to follow up and say that the methods outlined here worked well for me. I did not need the tool. In particular, I would emphasize a) not needing to do anything with the ball joint at all, b) having an adequate pry bar (I used a 6' San Angelo bar I already had, levered through the control arm and under the rear control arm to subframe mount, sitting on it while hammering the knuckle gently with a 2lb sledge, and c) using the pinch bolt in the opposite direction to open the joint, but instead of a screw driver, I used some super thick washers I had lying around which was easier and less bulky.

My suspension install is complete, just waiting on some bolts for the brake caliper carriers. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts