SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my '13 T6 R-Design since Labor day weekend and as much as I like this car and as fast as it is I have to say that I am sooooooooooooooooooooo bored with it.

The power is amazing, the seats are so comfortable and the stereo system is amazing but it's like driving a Lexus......makes me yawn.

My '07 R was way more exciting to drive and even though I would not go back to the horrible turning radius and the constant repairs....I do miss it.

Considering selling it.

Oh, and the brakes suck, they need to be bigger or have more bite to them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have George set you up with some Porterfield pads. They will help with the lack of bite. The Volvo standard pad is really hard, but they typically last forever.

You might want to also look into the IPD rear swaybar.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can I switch the pads without voiding any warranty?
As long as it is done properly, the only warranty that would be voided is on the pads since they are no longer Volvo parts.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wait you just got the car for a couple months and you're already bored? Wtf?

As for the brakes, I guess they're not as good as we thought.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Months?, more like weeks LOL.

Not dissing the car and it is amazing is just boring, to me anyway.

Looking into the pads now.

·
Registered
418 Posts

As others have pointed out, the major change in the '13 brakes is the bigger rotor. The bigger rotor will help with heat dissipation (the complaint of the press at the track), but since they did not change the pad size or compound, the bite is going to be mostly unchanged from the '12.

Other than the R's Brembo pads, the stock pads are designed for longevity. We got 70k miles on the factory pads on the V50. There is also a thread in the XC70 forum talking about brake wear on those cars (same brakes as the T6). They are seeing similar mileage.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I have had my '13 T6 R-Design since Labor day weekend and as much as I like this car and as fast as it is I have to say that I am sooooooooooooooooooooo bored with it.

The power is amazing, the seats are so comfortable and the stereo system is amazing but it's like driving a Lexus......makes me yawn.

My '07 R was way more exciting to drive and even though I would not go back to the horrible turning radius and the constant repairs....I do miss it.

Considering selling it.

But your not saying what you are bored with it?! I honestly think the new RD is way more fun to drive than my 07 SR which handled poorly when comparing the two stock vs. stock, and power delivery is no contest between the two. There are aftermarket parts if you feel the need to upgrade parts to get a little more out of the car. And as for the brakes, this is known and not meant for the track unless you upgrade; I too at first didn't like them compared to the R, but you will adjust and get used to them.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think my R-D is one of the best driving sedans out there. I enjoy it every time I'm behind the wheel ... and that's coming off a 2009 Audi A4. I also own a 2009 Corvette and, yes, that's more exciting to drive, but it's certainly not my everyday car. The ride on the R-D is anything but soft and cushy, so I'm not sure how it feels like a Lexus.

What four door compact/mid-size sedan would be more exciting? I guess you could always just put a Pamela Anderson blow-up doll in the front passenger's seat to liven things up a bit.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

Considering selling it.

OK, I'll put my neck out and start the bidding at $100. If you really don't like it I'm sure someone on the board will take it off your hands for the right price.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can't believe you're bored with it...I've had mine for almost a year and even with the soft brakes, it is an absolute blast every time I'm behind the wheel. Very sporty and fun while oh-so comfortable at the same time. NOTHING like a Lexus...I can't imagine how you found any similarity between the two to be quite honest...

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Add $46900 to that and its yours
Sadly its not even worth that the minute you drove off the lot. A '12 RD with same options and only 1000 miles on the ODO is worth $36,000. That means yours is prolly only worth $38-40,000; sad reality!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sadly its not even worth that the minute you drove off the lot. A '12 RD with same options and only 1000 miles on the ODO is worth $36,000. That means yours is prolly only worth $38-40,000; sad reality!
LOL you suck at math. A car does not lose $14K of value once you drive off the lot. It looses around 5K. And before you start spouting out numbers maybe you should know a little more about my car and its features.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't believe you're bored with it...I've had mine for almost a year and even with the soft brakes, it is an absolute blast every time I'm behind the wheel. Very sporty and fun while oh-so comfortable at the same time. NOTHING like a Lexus...I can't imagine how you found any similarity between the two to be quite honest...
My boss has a new ES and sadly it feels the same.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The dealer resale value may be up where you're thinking it is, but you probably won't get anywhere near that selling private and trade-in won't be that high either. Also, I can tell you're kind of a douche since you actually said "you suck at math." I'm not trying to insult you, but that won't help your salesmanship.

6-cylinder engines are just not as fun as a T5. Maybe you should consider stepping down to the S60 T5, because almost everything else short of $60,000 with that kind of performance that is midsized or larger is a turbocharged 6. They are all very smooth. The 335 is nice but it's not going to be as exciting as a high pressure T5. Sorry.

Edit: Also, I've heard the ES and GS are now more fun to drive but I have yet to test drive one myself. Apparently Toyota is upping its game.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
LOL you suck at math. A car does not lose $14K of value once you drive off the lot. It looses around 5K. And before you start spouting out numbers maybe you should know a little more about my car and its features.
Like I said this is based of '12 RD model since no site has '13, you have a Platinum Pkg, BLIS and Climate Pkg on your car so it's probably around $50k if you don't have Tech Pkg (which I didn't see in your picture of the car). I actually emailed my salesman right now and he said it would be very low $40k because of bad residual value and you are already under on your loan. There was a member TexasT6 who wanted to do the same thing a on loaded '11 T6 and they quoted him at $10,000 less or more (can't remember the actual figure, but it was more than $10k.

I definitely would park the attitude, I didn't respond like a douche to you; just merely said that you'd be surprised and showed an example of what a '12 went for with very similar equipment.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I said this is based of '12 RD model since no site has '13, you have a Platinum Pkg and Climate Pkg on your car so it's probably around $50k if you don't have Tech Pkg (which I didn't see in your picture of the car). I actually emailed my salesman right now and he said it would be very low $40k because of bad residual value and you are already under on your loan. There was a member TexasT6 who wanted to do the same thing a on loaded '11 T6 and they quoted him at $10,000 less or more (can't remember the actual figure, but it was more than $10k.

I definitely would park the attitude, I didn't respond like a douche to you; just merely said that you'd be surprised and showed an example of what a '12 went for with very similar equipment.
I dont need to park anything, you shouldn't be making idiotic statements without having more info.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Please come back and let us know when you sell your vehicle for your dream price!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I dont need to park anything, you shouldn't be making idiotic statements without having more info.
You know what, good luck with your car and I hope you get what you want. I had all the info needed and nothing was idiotic about my statement. I would love to know what other packages I missed on your car (rear heated seats maybe?!)?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.