SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quite mysteriously, Volvo has been releasing links to photos and video of a mysterious tropical island locale including a container painted with a Jolly Roger. It's all part of a unique new marketing tie-in between Volvo Cars and Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" motion picture.

So how does Volvo tie in with a pirate movie you ask? It's not like the movie's star Johnny Depp is going to drive a Volvo in the film. Depp's Captain Jack character's world takes place long before the automobile. To do a big tie-in, Volvo and Disney had to get more creative.
Full Story

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: Bootylicious XC90 Contest Ties in to "Pirates of the Caribbean" ([email protected])

What a waste. Sorry Volvo, I just don't get this one. Bad film, bad message, bad paint job.

Tom.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Re: Bootylicious XC90 Contest Ties in to "Pirates of the Caribbean" ([email protected])

I actually think it looks good. I agree the marketting is at it's lowest point ever. They're getting desparate? XC90 sales down again, while the SRX have actually picked up?

What's confusing to me though is the rims. Normally, I've thought 20" rims have looked bad on an XC90 due to the ride height and wheel well clearance. That picture they look good. But then I look at http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=59184 and I don't like that. Is the 'pirate' XC90 lowered too? I didn't see any mention of it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Re: Bootylicious XC90 Contest Ties in to "Pirates of the Caribbean" (pattyweb)

I take that back. I had not seen the other pics. I didn't notice all that 'pirate' stuff painted on it. Before I was just commenting on the rims.

What a joke. They really have hit a low...

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Bootylicious XC90 Contest Ties in to "Pirates of the Caribbean" (VolvoMax)

Fixed the code.

Graphics are vinyl.

I think it's a cool car myself.

What's so bad about tying in with Pirates of the Caribbean? I thought it worked well with the Ocean Race, I just wish they would have made these in series production.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yea, come on... don't hate on the movie. The first one was very entertaining.

But yea... aside from the marketing woes, that XC90 is up some people's alley. The new wheels, Borla exhaust, Eibach springs, custom interior, custom paint... I don't think that's anything to bash on.

Plus, those graphics are vinyl and can be peeled off the second someone wins it.

I'd take it.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
550 Posts

Y' arrrrrrrrrr...... me thinks it's fugly !
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts

I think the rims and suspension stance look nice:

As well as the dual exhaust - perhaps they will make that an accessory item at some point:

Did you notice the adjusted badge locations?

·
Registered
415 Posts
The first movie was very well accepted and liked by families, a prime XC90 market. I think this is going to generate a lot of XC90 exposure.

Personally, I'd love to win that car. It could be sold for enough cash to buy a new XC90 and maybe something else too.

Jack

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Wow, did they go to walmart to buy those skull door pins

If i got this thing I would rip that stupid vinyl stickers off immediately!

First movie was quite impressive, this new one is said to be aiming at an older audience.....

Rims on the car are delicious!

I doubt this xc90 would have any real resale value....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Re: Bootylicious XC90 Contest Ties in to "Pirates of the Caribbean" (pattyweb)

Quote, originally posted by pattyweb »
I actually think it looks good. I agree the marketting is at it's lowest point ever. They're getting desparate? XC90 sales down again, while the SRX have actually picked up?

What's confusing to me though is the rims. Normally, I've thought 20" rims have looked bad on an XC90 due to the ride height and wheel well clearance. That picture they look good. But then I look at http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=59184 and I don't like that. Is the 'pirate' XC90 lowered too? I didn't see any mention of it.

Actually the article says it was lowered 30mm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts