SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a trunk lip from Fyralip off of ebay and it arrived today.

This one to be exact: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291519337775

And while I was excited to come home and install it after work today, I'm somewhat disappointed...

Overall it looks like a decent product, but it has one shortcoming; and that is the width of the lip isnt accurate with what is pictured on the ad.

On the left is the ad picture of the lip on an S40, notice the lip is the same width as the upper portion of the taillights, creating a continuous line across the trunk. This is what I was hoping for. On the right is a photo I took of the lip I received. You can see its roughly 2/3's of the width than what the image on the left suggests.

Has anyone else here with this lip (or similar lips) experienced this? I'd like to know if this is a static size and is the same for all of them or if I can somehow get a lip in a variable width like the one pictured on the left.

NOTE: If your viewing from a smaller screen left image is top, and right image is bottom

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
That image on the left isn't an S40...they are all the same depth, too.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
To post again - I think it looks good! 99% of the general population will never notice that it doesn't match the depth of your tail lights. Given that I (and you) am part of the 1% who do, I know what you mean, but think about how nice of an addition the spoiler is for such little investment! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To post again - I think it looks good! 99% of the general population will never notice that it doesn't match the depth of your tail lights. Given that I (and you) am part of the 1% who do, I know what you mean, but think about how nice of an addition the spoiler is for such little investment! :)
Haha your definitely right about being the 1%!

Problem is that I'm in the field of architecture, and certain aesthetic things like this drive me absolutely nuts! Lol going to try and find an alternative solution, or at least a way I can maybe modify this piece to work or at least trick your eye somehow. To the drawing board!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Haha your definitely right about being the 1%!

Problem is that I'm in the field of architecture, and certain aesthetic things like this drive me absolutely nuts! Lol going to try and find an alternative solution, or at least a way I can maybe modify this piece to work or at least trick your eye somehow. To the drawing board!
Did this work out for you? If not, and and it's still in good shape, do you want to sell it to me?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did this work out for you? If not, and and it's still in good shape, do you want to sell it to me?
It's sitting up on the top shelf of my bedroom closet. Its in perfect shape since I haven't done anything with it lol.

I'd have no problem selling it to you, but quite honestly I'm not sure if it would be all that worth it. International shipping costs alone would probably be close to the cost of just ordering one new from fyralip. We could certainly look into it though.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It doesn't look like you bent it to match the contour of the trunk, if you heat it up or leave it in the sun it will become wobbly and your notice it will kinda fan out and match up with the trunk line curves.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
333 Posts
You might be right. I'll look into a new one. Did you give them the color code of your car? It says they can paint them in any color you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
I purchased the identical lip (Coda http://fyralip.com/spoilers/coda in 2014 from Deltalip (now Fyralip) - shipping time was awesome as was color match. Install was easy with the D/S tape. When I look at the two pics the OP posted, it looks (to me) like the corporate shot shows it mounted on the backside of the boot rather than the top OR I am just interpreting the picture incorrectly??? Mine fit pretty well and overall, while it is not the factory T5 lip, I am pretty happy with it. Photo below - apologies for the dirty winter mode....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It doesn't look like you bent it to match the contour of the trunk, if you heat it up or leave it in the sun it will become wobbly and your notice it will kinda fan out and match up with the trunk line curves.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
Yes, the product is highly flexible and bends to the contour of the trunk. However, I never actually mounted it. The picture I posted in my OP was just to visualize the scale of the lip and the shortfall in depth.

You might be right. I'll look into a new one. Did you give them the color code of your car? It says they can paint them in any color you want.

I did. Stone Black (019)

I purchased the identical lip (Coda http://fyralip.com/spoilers/coda in 2014 from Deltalip (now Fyralip) - shipping time was awesome as was color match. Install was easy with the D/S tape. When I look at the two pics the OP posted, it looks (to me) like the corporate shot shows it mounted on the backside of the boot rather than the top OR I am just interpreting the picture incorrectly??? Mine fit pretty well and overall, while it is not the factory T5 lip, I am pretty happy with it. Photo below - apologies for the dirty winter mode....
Yes, interpretation can easily be skewed (as was mine when I purchased). Of the two images in my OP, the fryralip image we actually determined to be of a c70, which has the new facelift tail lights which have a much skinnier profile in top plane.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine should be arriving around xmas and I'll report back with pics as well.

Wow, ordered the 13th, came in today the 17th. It's my sons birthday today, as in: he came into this world this morning, so I don't have time to take pics but it looks great. Color matches and looks good quality. I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine should be arriving around xmas and I'll report back with pics as well.

Wow, ordered the 13th, came in today the 17th. It's my sons birthday today, as in: he came into this world this morning, so I don't have time to take pics but it looks great. Color matches and looks good quality. I'll post pics soon.

Wow that's fast. Congrats on your son! Still waiting on mine to show up.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That is a subtle, cool look...swweeeet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts