SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm sure most of you have seen me post trying to figure out how to fix my caR. Welp she's finally at stage 0 and I figured I'd give it/myself a proper introduction. I bought the car about 2 months ago, and it has 152k on the clock. This is my 2nd Volvo ('02 s60 is now my brother's) and also my 2nd car.

Mods / maintenance already done: Autotech tune (not for DDing), elevate AMS, elevate catback system with the 3.5" DP, and a Fitzy boost gauge. Changed spark plugs with OEM, replaced crankshaft sensor, flushed trans fluid and an oil change.

Coming soon: Snabb intake pipe, redoing vac lines, new coil packs, new struts and pads/rotors.

I'm a sophomore in college for electrical engineering so while I may be young, I'm more than able and willing to learn ;) Looking forward to learning more about my caR and hopefully meeting some fellow SSers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That EE will come in handy for maintaining your R, just get ready to invest in a chinese DICE knock off so you can peer into its computerized mysteries, lol.
Already ordered vida/dice, TristanScott sent me a link to a reliable seller. All bases covered lol :p

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday just for a good once-over and an oil change, they wanted $980 PER STRUT to replace them. I told the mechanic I'd just buy them for $260 on rockauto and do them myself, he told me that's the smart thing to do. My R was the 3rd he'd ever seen and he was practically drooling, it was hilarious..

After the nightmare that was getting my old s60 to 100%, vida was pretty high on the priority list lol

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
As a long time engineer and mechanic, I wish I had done so sooner. Now I have no reason to ever visit a volvo dealer again except to buy parts.
Also software updates... They do them for free if you have another service done.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also software updates... They do them for free if you have another service done.
yeah that's why i was thinking i'd get every other oil change done there.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
yeah that's why i was thinking i'd get every other oil change done there.
Once a year is good enough... I get my alignments done there because they're very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good idea. i got an alignment on the s60 done at firestone once.

...once.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Better hope they don't overwrite your tune. After they did that to me and I was happy with the cars code I had no interest in any continued meddling with my current software either.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the R will be aligned at the dealership. i have it running stock tune for commuting to school, but if i were to go to a track day or i get bored the softloader's in the glovebox.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we gotta meet up, im literally a 35 minute drive away :D
once its registered and all that and i replace the struts/brakes i'm down :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm gonna get the ipd HD ones.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Get the OEM ones... Especially when they're cheaper. Or get the Kaphlenke ones :D that sweet sweet machined bearing beautifulness.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how different from OEM are the ipd hd ones? I see most people get them but is the difference in quality/performance worth it?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
It's really just a matter of price. P2 Volvos beat on LCAs and spring seats. Especially a 4C equipped R. Lemforder is the cheapest but it's identical to the Volvo one because Lemforder makes Volvo LCAs. IMHO iPd HD isn't worth it. However, everyone likes things with HD tacked on the end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts