SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been very active on here in the past couple of years since selling my beloved S60R and going over to the M-Power side for a little. Once I sold the SR I flew out to Tampa and picked up an E60 M5... holy sheeeeet what an animal that car was.

At the time I thought trying out the SMG would be fun and it was for a little but then got old. So the time came to listed the M5 for sale and the search for a P2 V70R "Unicorn" began. I was on the hunt for a very specific combo and before I could find the right VR I was offered a trade that I just couldn’t turn down and put the Volvo search on hold. From the M5 I moved into a Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 (45K miles, light weight spec, 6 speed, manual seats, slicktop).

If you’re a BMW guy then you know that this car was the rare of rare. I absolutely loved this car but I hated to put miles on it and if I could have afforded to just keep this as a play car/collection I would have because it would’ve kept appreciating with time. Anyways a collector out of SC took it of my hands.

Now the hunt was on again… Search criteria was 2005-2007 Magic Blue on Atacama M66 wagon in very nice shape. Wishful thinking, I know. While I still had the M3 there was one that hit eBay with ~130k on it that a dealer had cleaned up very nicely and fetched 14K and after that I couldn’t find anything close to what I wanted until one day someone posted in the craigslist find of the month thread. It was the exact car I wanted…. 2005 VR, Magic Blue w/ Atacama, 100k on the clock, clean one owner car in CA. It even had the discontinued BBS CH wheels (as you can see on my M3 they’re one of my favorite wheels of all time). I was thinking this is too good to be true and it was, kind of. The CATCH… f’ing autotragic! Like really who in their right mind would special order this car with an automatic??? Oh well, no biggie I thought I’ll just give a good old friend a call. Next thing I know my wagon is being picked up from CA and being transported straight to The Man, Mr. Ben McNally at Rolling Motors, LLC.

***side note, this car was supposed to be a whole big turbo (GT30) build with over 400awhp in pure sleeper style until this happened… She was worth it.***

Anyways Ben and I decided on doing a mild build with the car and REFRESHING everything along with adding some tastefully goodies along the way :). The plan was to make this as new as possible where all that was left was oil changes every 3k miles. Here are some pictures Ben sent me while putting her back together…

I’ll try and do my best and hit all the bigger items that were done to the car…

•Maintenance

o All new PowerFlex bushings
o Front end links
o New Radiator
o Timing belt and water pump
o Inner and outer tie rods
o Rear main seal
o Front and rear camshaft seals
o Oil pump seal
o Okay all new seals, gaskets, hoses and mounts under the hood :p

•Modifications

o Drivetrain
 M66 Swap
 New R clutch and salve cylinder
 Spec Billet Single Mass Flywheel

o Suspension/Brakes/Tires
 Custom BC Coilovers
 Kaplhenke Racing Delrin subframe bushings
 Continental Extreme Contacts
 SS braided lines

o Engine Performance
 Snabb Ultimate Big FMIC
 Snabb Intake w/ RS4 MAF
 Synapse recirculated BOV
 Snow Performance Stage 2 Methanol Injection
 Mishimoto/Ben Special catch can
 Hybrid turbo with 72mm wheel and clipped turbine
 Custom 3in DP
 Hilton 2.5 tune

o Interior
 New shift surround
 New shift knob
 R door locks
 Radio trim kit
 iPd boost gauge
 Ortiz custom pod

I cant say enough about the quality of the work Ben put into this thing. Truly the best out there when it comes to things like this. Much much thanks, bro!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And leave it to Murphy and his dumbass law but ONE day before the transporter was to pickup the wagon the stock K24 decided to give up while Ben was data logging... Well thankfully Ben was able to source the fresh turbo below and also install that same day :) so clutch!

After all of that BOOM! Here is my unicorn…

·
1,947 Posts
Chase, congrats on getting engaged. That's awesome. Also, glad to see you back in the R game. You're vr is clean!!! Definitely following this thread.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice build! I considered an e60 m5 for a bit but the lack of torque is unfortunate. I prefer the s62 to the s85. Love the e46 m3 though. Best color!

Congrats on the engagement too. Just had my 7th anniversary last month and every year gets better!

Btw, please document the 6 speed swap. That's something I would love to do. I've done several manual swaps before but not nearly as familiar with Volvo

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome back to the scene and congrats - they will both drain you!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wow!
Damn that's a lot of work.. and some real nice welds on that pipe.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
So, with time and money it is possible! I'd love to make mine into a manual. Congrats on your new life chapter starting, and on the gorgeous car color/config. You're a lucky guy in more ways than one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Beyond nice. Congrats! Welcome back Chase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chase, congrats on getting engaged. That's awesome. Also, glad to see you back in the R game. You're vr is clean!!! Definitely following this thread.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Thanks, bro! Its nice to be back.

So, with time and money it is possible! I'd love to make mine into a manual. Congrats on your new life chapter starting, and on the gorgeous car color/config. You're a lucky guy in more ways than one.
Thanks ZZZZZZZ! It definitely takes both but well worth it.

Sick! Nice new M66 atacama. How long did the build take?

Build took around 6 months... Ben wasn't working on it that whole time though obviously.

Beyond nice. Congrats! Welcome back Chase!

Thanks dude hope the RS4 reps are still treating you well. Still one of my favorite wheels I ever ran on the SR.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just some little touches to add to the thread for now.

AND LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL!!! So excited to build these a little different and throw them on the wagon.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Great work all around and nice shop.
As for the girl, I sure hope you meant "is" not "was" (like you wrote)....:eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Congrats on the engagement and on what looks like a well executed build!

Was your shop able to find a way integrate the M66's reverse interlock solenoid or are you doing without? Rob left it alone, as did I. I've thought about wiring up a solution but free time is a luxury these days.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Would love to hear about how involved the 6 speed swap is. Up there on my to do list as well.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I always loved the look of the RS4 reps on your S60R. I was seriously considering them for a while, but went a different route. I actually have them on my S4 and love the look.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts