SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Pretty sure it's normal, but just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue. During full-throttle acceleration in 3rd gear or above, boost will hit 15 psi as it should, but when approaching 5,000 RPM it drops down to about 10 or 11 psi. I realize that the K04 has issues keeping up at higher RPM, but is it supposed to drop that much? So anyone with similar mods to mine and a boost gauge please tell me if you're seeing the same thing.

I'm running the Autotech 'Stage III' tune, DP, exhaust, intercooler, Phuzzy TCV and Forge CBV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I will say likely normal for the K04 but will wait till someone with similar mods can back that statement up. Even my stock psi setting has difficulty maintaining boost lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Boost is reduced when the engine detects knock, or a high intake air temperature. If you're not running premium fuel, or if the intercooler is stock and not getting enough air, it's expected.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hey mm. Wot that high rpm in 4th or higher is rare for me as that's triple digit territory. I will say that 3rd gear she starts to run out of breath in the 5500 rpm neighborhood. But I usually only see a couple/3 psi dip...

93 octane?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hey guys,

Pretty sure it's normal, but just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue. During full-throttle acceleration in 3rd gear or above, boost will hit 15 psi as it should, but when approaching 5,000 RPM it drops down to about 10 or 11 psi. I realize that the K04 has issues keeping up at higher RPM, but is it supposed to drop that much? So anyone with similar mods to mine and a boost gauge please tell me if you're seeing the same thing.

I'm running the Autotech 'Stage III' tune, DP, exhaust, intercooler, Phuzzy TCV and Forge CBV.

Thanks.
This is the boost and the A/F from similarly tuned Mondeo ST (also Autotech stage 3 tune) with identical turbo. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm running 94 octane and I have a larger intercooler. I also have the Elevate manifold installed and wonder if this would affect anything as it is larger capacity than the stock unit.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
nah, i think you are running perfect MM. the dropoff is def expected as the turbo runs out of breath. the only way to avoid it is to pull a Madden and go k16......

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm thinkin' it's normal. Once Elevate has the complete kit available with all bits and pieces included, I might just go through with the K16 upgrade. We'll see. I'd also have to upgrade my cat-back exhaust to full 3".

It's either that or buy a brand new car, lol. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Brand new car lol. It's always tempting. If thats the case call dibs on ur exhaust then ;)

I wanna start modding the Volvo again but I agree, something like a 335/M3 with balls from the factory is very tempting when balancing the cost ratio.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brand new car lol. It's always tempting. If thats the case call dibs on ur exhaust then ;)

I wanna start modding the Volvo again but I agree, something like a 335/M3 with balls from the factory is very tempting when balancing the cost ratio.
I hear ya, man. Most likely will be a newer car. At that point, my car will probably be approaching the 200,000 kms mark, so probably won't be worth keeping let alone feeding it more power. Maybe I'll just get a Prius, lol.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
e46's can be had for good price. you can pick up an e30 on the cheap and supercharge it for pennies on the dollar it costs to mod our cars. but supremely less originality. unless of course you pick up an LSB or phoenix yellow e46. but i'm not worried about FF. you have that new bumper on the way - you will be now forced to upgrade engine......

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Lol, we shall see. I would like to get back into it, but when the wife gives u a thumbs up to get an E92 M3 it's hard to overlook. Being realistic I don't think it will happen when the time comes, she will change her mind.

With how much I have invested into the little details of this car would be hard to start from scratch and buy another S40, even though I would prefer AWD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts