SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a post somewhere (maybe this forum, but I can't find it now) about a person who had adjusted the Turbo bypass valve to increase the amount of turbo pressure in their S60. Has anyone tried this? I was looking at VADIS the other day and it looks like a simple procedure.

I am not looking to increase the release pressure significantly, just a bit. If it's super easy, why not right? Unless, of course, things start to blow up...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Boost Relief Valve Adjustment (Tim G)

Anyone? I know this is a shot in the dark.

I don't want to be the test

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

It doesn't work. The ECU will not allow higher boost, all you'll get for your trouble is a CEL

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

I does work. I have done it on a few cars and it is a surprising difference. 6 turns at the most, ANY more and you got issues. I usually did 4 or 5 turns when I did mine.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: Boost Relief Valve Adjustment (dugums)

does the ecu learn to support more boost with more fuel by itself ? or is it running too rich anyway so that a little extra boost is already taken care of? because if it is neither of these, then won't you be running too lean?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dugums »
I does work. I have done it on a few cars and it is a surprising difference. 6 turns at the most, ANY more and you got issues. I usually did 4 or 5 turns when I did mine.
No it does not. What it can do is allow the boost to come on a bit quicker. The boost is controlled by the ECU and nothing you can do will change that.
What do you think all the modded ECU's do? They give MORE boost
All that will happen is the (stock) ECU will dial back the boost and a CEL is thrown.
You can turn the rod (depending on which motor) a little but that's it for better turbo response but no MORE boost.
The rods are integrated in the turbo in the R

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Boost Relief Valve Adjustment (JRL)

Are we talking waste gate or the by pass valve that's stop the turbo from spolling down all the way

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Re: Boost Relief Valve Adjustment (JRL)

JRL good description of what's happening. It does make a difference that is noticeable. But just as I said (and JRL) it is a LITTLE difference, that's it. It certainly not going to fulfill anybody's need for a lot more power. Gotta go with a tuned ecu, exhaust, intake, dp etc if you are looking for a big change.

I do know quite a few people who have gotten CEL's because they go crazy. That's why I wanted to give an indication of how much to mess with it (if you even want to.) 2.4T, 2.5T and T5 motors will work. Spend the money to get proffessional upgrades on newer and more expensive cars. Certainly don't mess with this if the car is still in warranty. I have the luxury of getting really cheap (read free) parts and service if I end up messing up my cars. I did not mean to endorse the practice, I just meant to confirm that it did improve the performance.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (liquidforce1887)

...and that's what you get.
You MUST be careful not to overturn the rod, there is a very fine line what works well and what can make it worse

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks Guys for the info. I am not worried too much about increasing my boost pressure overall. Thanks for the explanation. I am very interested, though, in getting it to ramp up more quickly.

Is that 4-5 turns clockwise or counterclockwise?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts