SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the turbo on my 04 VR with another K24. The new K24 has a smaller compressor wheel than my original. I know this because I had an ARD billet compressor wheel and for fun I tried to place the aluminum housing over the old turbo once it was pulled and it would not fit. Now with the new turbo in my car dumps boost prematurely. The car has an IPD tune, ARD TCV, and Forge CBV with the heavier spring. The wastegate was set at 4psi. Any ideas on what causes the boost loss?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Sounds like your old K24 was a hybrid. Any K24 compressor housing should fit on a K24 billet compressor wheel. You may also have the wastegate set to loose. Try 6.5 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it turns out my new K24 is a hybrid with a 5mm larger compressor wheel. Will this require a new tune?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yes, and 650cc injectors.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Confused - your post says the new K24 has a smaller compressor wheel and the compressor housing from the new K24 won't fit over the billet wheel.... What am I missing?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was smaller because the new housing wouldn't fit on the billet wheel but the turbo shop that balanced the turbo said the new one is 5mm larger. My guess is that it wouldn't fit because the taper of the wheels is different. The billet wheel must be wider at the top than the new turbo, while the base of the new is larger than the billet wheel.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Have fun with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts