SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

My car is killin me lately.. I've spent at least a couple grand on repairs in the last 6 months and I am finally on my last repair!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 121,xxx miles

Explanation...
  • When I accelerate hard my car will over boost and go into a form of limp mode. It doesn't happen all the time- but almost every day.
  • Warm weather makes it worse. I live in Minnesota and when the weather was below 20 degrees consistently I had no issue with it- the weather has been getting warmer now (above 30) and it's been happening quite a bit.
  • My car will top out at 80mph when it goes into it's limp mode.

It can be extremely annoying when I am cruising with friends on the freeway- it can almost be dangerous too if I need to pass someone or avoid and accident.

Any help would be much appreciated :p

Thanks!
Neal Gysland

·
Registered
397 Posts
This does sound like your TCV is shot... It's not too expensive, and there are upgraded parts available, but it's a [email protected] to change if you have big hands... (I know...)

When mine died it had similar issues IIRC. It's a while ago, so memory is a bit fuzzy...

Shouldn't take too long before someone else will post here... :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yup TCV is shot or tubed up backwards. I didnt want to get down there and F^#& with it through the wheel well. So I bought a MAC valve and mounted it on the firewall. It doesn't look fancy but works much better than the OE one that was on there. Guess how I found out about limp mode and boost spikes and connecting up the TCV wrong :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That looks just like the ebay MAC valve that I bought for 1/3rd the price. Though it does have the connector on in already.

If you want plug and play go for it. If you want to save $60 go with the ebay valve.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Personally, I'm not planning to give Elevate any of my money.

The IPD TCV is working well for me but there are probably cheaper options...it is just a rebranded Mac valve after all.

Snabb is a bit cheaper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts