SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, I get boost intermittently. Every morning I have boost for the first 3 min its running basically. I can fly 1st 2nd and 3rd. After about 4500 in third you'll hear the blow off pop then from that point on no more boost.

If I rev the farm way out in a gear then shift up boost will come back for a few seconds. I have a turboxs bov. But I don't belief e its the problem. If its cold outside this won't happen until fourth and boost will be higher but that's typical.

I have ipd hd tcv, new plugs, fps, cbv block off, the turbo is going to need a rebuild, there is oil in the intake pipe and I can smell like oil burn mixed with raw fuel smell out the exhaust. I have no cat as well.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just as the title says, I get boost intermittently. Every morning I have boost for the first 3 min its running basically. I can fly 1st 2nd and 3rd. After about 4500 in third you'll hear the blow off pop then from that point on no more boost.

If I rev the farm way out in a gear then shift up boost will come back for a few seconds. I have a turboxs bov. But I don't belief e its the problem. If its cold outside this won't happen until fourth and boost will be higher but that's typical.

I have ipd hd tcv, new plugs, fps, cbv block off, the turbo is going to need a rebuild, there is oil in the intake pipe and I can smell like oil burn mixed with raw fuel smell out the exhaust. I have no cat as well.

Any thoughts?
Remove that TCV and install a brand new Volvo unit. Check all the vacuum lines while you're at it. I'd also check the vacuum lines to/from your BOV and intake manifold.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my way home today and now the car is boosting like new , but at 3k is full boost. Too much traffic to tell if it will stay at upper rpms..... Anyways is there a way to clean the tcv out. If I'm getting oil in my intake , couldn't it be getting in the tcv causing it to stick? And a lot of people have had issues with hd tcv gen 1, so why should I have to pay another $90 to buy the 'fixed' one when I paid that to fix it the first time and it seemingly lasts 6 months. Anybody ever said anything about this.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Might be your BOV settings that are set to high.

I would imagine there is less compression for the the first 3 minutes when the car is still warming up and isn't bothered by over boosting spikes. Maybe a tad touchy when the rings expand after warmed.

Really how much oil are you seeing in the intake?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I did I have there gen 1 Tcv also. I went with the Phuzz one now and am problem free. IPD wouldnt replace mine.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

If I rev the farm way out in a gear then shift up boost will come back for a few seconds.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts? Yes, I have some thoughts. The primary thought being that you should not be doing any of what you have described above within the first 3 minutes the car is running.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Any thoughts? Yes, I have some thoughts. The primary thought being that you should not be doing any of what you have described above within the first 3 minutes the car is running.
this..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it helps to diagnose if you know when you have boost and when you don't to isolate why its intermittent.

Anyways think it my wastegate, I think its sticking , which then causes boost creep.and then I hit limp mode cuz the ecu. I think its partially sticking .

If this is the case, great because I am planning on a turbo rebuild asap. Possible k26 internals with a j or h wg or whatever its called.

Anyways, anybody think this is a possibility, also while I have it apart, occur timing belt ipd hd coils, custom enginecover and valve cover(hydroprint and powdercoat), also this week I am ordering. The R BOOST GAUGE. Three years and no boost gauge I'm in the dark time to end it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts