SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hate to post one of "these" threads but I'm looking for guidance to see if I missed anything.

Recently did a bunch of work including installing a Snabb Tial Recirc Kit (Tial Recirculation Valve, CBV blockoff plate, OTE Pipe, Intake Pipe, new silicone lines.) Under WOT, car boosts to 6ish PSI normally and then as it builds higher I hear a wooshing sound and ignition is cut like hitting a rev limiter. I can get 2-3 WOT pulls and then the car will stop using the TCV altogether and only boost to wastegate pressure 6PSI or so. I don't believe there to be a leak after poking around, almost seems like something isn't hooked up correctly but I'm pretty sure it is. Monitoring with VIDA I will get a sh!tton of ECU codes, ECU no match etc. and then they will all go away once I click read all again. No running issues before install.
TCV: red line goes to compressor nipple, Yellow line goes to wastegate, blue line goes to the intake pipe. Tial Recirc Valve, nipple goes to intake manifold.
I took off the MAF sensor and it was covered in K&N oil, tried drying filter and cleaning MAF no luck. Swapped to stock dry filter with a new MAF and issue still there although running better. Also swapped TCV with new and issue is still there.

Am I missing something or do I just have a leak that only presents itself above 6PSI.

Also I'm wondering how TCV works as in when it's not activated which ports are through and which are blocked and when it is activated which ports are through and which are blocked. I have an idea but want to hear from someone who knows for sure.

In general it seems like the boost issue is only when the car activates TCV and is holding the wastegate shut to build up to 1 BAR boost. So the most obvious answer would be that the line from the TCV to wastegate has a hole in it. I'm going to rig up a pressure tester for it once I get home from work. If I pressurize line to wastegate, should it hold without leaking under normal conditions? (I would think yes.)

Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE:
Problem was that intake pipe came off turbo and OTE pipe came off intercooler.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pressure tested wastegate line from tcv, no leak.

Only thing I have to go off of now is oil around the outlet of the intercooler by the inlet of the lower charge pipe which is still stock, same with intercooler.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What spring(s) are installed in the valve?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What spring(s) are installed in the valve?
I have no idea, whatever it came with, figured snabb would hook me up with what I needed.
It feels like it's recirculating too early though now that you say that.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Also double your lines to the TCV are hooked up to the correct ports. You listed the colors correctly but it's easy to mix them up. I fixed a local guys R after even the dealer hooked them up incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also double your lines to the TCV are hooked up to the correct ports. You listed the colors correctly but it's easy to mix them up. I fixed a local guys R after even the dealer hooked them up incorrectly.
Yeah I triple checked, thanks.

I should also mention that issue wasn't there right away after installing all this stuff. Everything was okay for a while but I couldn't do any WOT pulls because I installed a new clutch. It started happening after I was doing a bunch of WOT pulls on the highway (after 500 mile clutch break-in) and started running like crap because of all that k&n oil on my maf.

Plastic might be cracked on the lower charge pipe that's what I have to go off of right now.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out today and recorded what's going on.
First pull I went pretty much WOT right away to show how it cuts ignition or whatever, you can hear it like I'm hitting a rev limiter. Second pull I ease into it trying to give it as much as I can without it misfiring like that.
Doesn't really seem like a boost leak issue to me now but I can't say for sure.

I also was playing around with the TCV trying to see which ports are passthroughs when it is not activated and how that changes when it's activated in VIDA and came across this which I thought was not right. I was expecting it to shuttle into a new steady position where the ports that are passthrough would be switched but instead, it seems like the TCV is shuttling back and forth really quickly. Anyone able to verify if this is right?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wow... intake pipe blew off. Took everything apart and it was only halfway on. Also found that the OTE pipe came off of the intercooler inlet. There are two tabs on the stock intercooler that prevent the coupler from going on far enough to get a good grip so I actually just got the pipe over these tabs and now it holds boost and there's no unmeterd air entering the system.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Took it out for a test drive with the above fixes and it's holding boost but now overboosting. Have to let off throttle or it will quickly build to 25PSI or more, don't want to find out. Cleared all codes in VIDA and also cleared all codes with a normal OBD reader (Torque app.) Still overboosting.

In the Torque app, I'm getting P0030, P0036, P0140, P0141, which are all errors with the front and rear 02 sensors and then it is also giving me a P0234 which is the Turbo Overboost code. In VIDA, it literally shows nothing except some CEM codes... Not sure what's up with that. Both 02 sensors are new within 5k miles. Got under the car and the wires look good and they're both plugged in...

Occasionally the ECM, BCM, SAS, SUM, and DEM are not responding in VIDA. Wondering if I have a bad ground or something.

Going to do more research/poking around.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do you have a tune on it?

if not then it's going to be a bad TCV, or a blockage to the TCV not seeing the pressure, or the wires to the TCV, thus not allowing the pressure through to open the wastegate... 25psi w/o having the block built to take it = bad problems fast...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a tune on it?

if not then it's going to be a bad TCV, or a blockage to the TCV not seeing the pressure, or the wires to the TCV, thus not allowing the pressure through to open the wastegate... 25psi w/o having the block built to take it = bad problems fast...
No tune.
I have a brand new tcv from fcp on it right now. I believe I have a bad battery as multiple modules do not respond. Swapped it out for the one in my v70 and all modules respond. Swapped batteries back and forth again and got the same results.
With good battery, modules are reporting bad o2 sensors even though they're both new and connected so im going to pursue that and then I also have some SAS faults because I had to disconnect the steering shaft and probably didn't put it back on the same spline so I'm going to reset that and see where all this gets me. Also going to try taking it for a spin with the v70 battery, maybe that battery was causing the issues idk.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Had that code on a V70R, was BPS. Replaced and all was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had that code on a V70R, was BPS. Replaced and all was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bad BPS was causing O2 sensor faults? Mine is fairly new but could've gotten fouled by all that KW oil that got sucked through the system...

I thought maybe they needed to be grounded throught the exhaust and remembered I was using a DP gasket when many people say not to use one. Removed the gasket but I'm still getting those faults.

Does anyone know, when performing the 4C mod where you cut off the sensors from the shocks, do they need to be grounded to the chassis or something? I have a lot of error codes that are pointing to a possible open ground or open canbus signal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts