SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just followed the video by ipd to install my new boost gauge. I looked into it and so far I've found that it sounds pretty normal for it to read about -20 psi at idle but my real question is that I've heard my 2003 s60 2.4t should be boosting about 8psi stock and it won't go above 2 or 3psi when I accelerate. Does this mean I have a leak? If so, how would I go about finding that leak? I just installed the snabb fresh air intake pipe so I know all those tubes are on snugg.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
well, -20 inHG, or inches of mercury, not psi.......but anyways, yeah you should be making about 8psi, not 2-3. You could have a boost leak, either in the plumbing for the gauge or in the actual charge air pipes. You need to check all the pipes, clamps and couplers between the turbo and the throttle body. Don't worry about the snabb pipe, that doesn't hold boost - like I said you need to look for air loss after the turbo. Two ways to do this are to pressurize the intake tract and listen for leaks or to spray soapy water on the couplers and pressurize and look for bubbles. Most of the time it's easy enough to find them just by listening to the leaks. Most common leaks are right after the turbo where it connects to the OTE pipe and pre throttle area.

hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that makes sense. I will double check that all the plumbing to the gauge. I take it when you say to pressurize it, that is what you have the picture of with the air hose and the water bottle. Thanks for your help and you've done a great job with your car it looks great! Have you dino tested it yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the hose connecting to my gauge is not pushed in far enough, but a snabb tcv is on my list of parts to purchase.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2.4T does the same thing sometimes. It will only boost to 3-4 PSI. Then other times it boosts to 10 with no issues. Most of the the time, it bounces between 5-10 under load. I'm going to change the TCV, CBV, and all the small rubber lines tonight. If that doesn't fix the issue then I'll have to go looking for boost leaks too. I'm thinking its the TCV based on how the problem dynamically changes.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
If it's constant low boost it might be a leak, if it's variable, uneven boost production or low boost it could be TCV, especially if it's bouncing boost.

One way to verify the TCV is the problem is to bypass the wastegate control system - unhook the vacuum line to the wastegate actuator and go for a spin---- CAUTION ----- you will build boost rapidly, in excess of 15psi-20psi if you don't let off quick enough - all you are looking to see is that the turbo and pipes can make and hold boost, get it up to 8-10psi and you're okay. Replace the TCV or adjust the wastegate to the correct settings and see if you can make proper boost with the TCV all set back up. It's very easy to overboost like this though, you can get a CEL if you don't let off quick enough, it's a diagnostic you use at your own risk.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I replaced the TCV, CBV internals, and all of the boost lines. I think my issue was the TCV. The lines I replaced were actually in pretty good shape. The CBV internals looked fine as well. Now it boosts to 10 psi for just a second, and then drops down to 7 and holds 7 psi until I let up or it shifts. The boost is building much faster now too. Honestly it feels like a whole different car now.

Volvo replaced the TCV twice on my R under warranty (within 42,500 miles). The TCV on my 2002 (@ 38,500 miles) was bad. Seems like these are pretty problematic and for $60 and how easy they are to change, I'd start there... just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In general, should the boost hold until you let it on throttle. Sorry but I am new to turbos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I hooked my air compressor up to my intake and there is a pretty big leak coming from close to my intake manifold. I took the pipe off from the intercooler to the throttle body and examined it and I could not find any holes or cracks. Could it be from the throttle body? or would it most likely be from wear on the plastic tubing, and it's not sealing tight.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Close to the manifold, could be a number of things, leaks from the clamp at the throttle, gasket the the throttle body, manifold gasket, injector seals, or one of the hoses under the manifold, pretty sure the S60 has a half inch hose or so that connects to the manifold. Lots of stuff to check, see if you can have a partner pressurize it while you listen to pinpoint the source.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
Also, soapy water in a spray bottle will let you know where the leak is right away, even if it is a very small leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts