SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to install some parts first but eventually will hook up a boost gauge. Was wondering everyone's opinions or comments on what's better - mechanical or electrical gauge? Or is it preference? Company of good/durable gauge? Pods or mounting? I'm new to Volvo but I'm really liking my s40 :] I think she's a keeper!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If it's a keeper, pics or no help! :p lol

. . . I can't say I never got the time to order and install something . . .

edit:
oh and I did have this thread a while ago. It might be a start.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169174-Boost-gauge-options

I never followed through a purchase... I will some time I hope.
I really dig Defi but so expensive and complicated...

I'm still not truly thrilled about integration setup I'v seen so far. Personally I'm still looking for a means to do a super clean integration.
That said it's not an easy job. There isn't a lot of options...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i like mechanical. their the easiest to hook up.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Mechanical - you need to run the vac line all the way to the gauge in the passenger cabin. But they're the easiest to install, like Evol0 said. You may not even need any power if you decide not to illuminate the dial face. Vac line may be pinched/damaged during the long run into the cabin though, which will affect your reading.

Electrical - the vac line goes to the sensor which can be installed anywhere. Then the electrical data cable is run into the cabin where the display is. But then you need to run power lines for both of them. The data cable is a lot more robust than a hollow vac line.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You guys forgot to mention that mechanical will typically be more responsive and accurate over digital due to the sensor lag.
Not to say that digital are bad. No one here needs to fine tune their car like race cars so for what we do they're just adequate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that thread I must have missed that when searching and I really like defi as well-looks super clean but very pricey IMO-. Thanks for your guys input I'm thinking mechanical but we will see when the time comes. Yeah I def don't have a race car but I do want to take some reading and measurements as accurate as possible. Thanks again. Any really good reliable companies? Besides defi?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Autometer is another to check out. I think most large companies are reliable enough, the problem that I will have is matching the gauge to our stock gauges.

And like TG said, pics or its a Geo Metro :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was looking at there R gauge looks pretty good. Just unsure where/how to mount it(column, pillar ect..) I liked the looks of other cars how there mounted in one of the air vents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quick pic for now, mostly stock. Intake and exhaust. I want to get a lip and lower it a little as my jetta on coils doesn't make it some places lol :] which leads to another question how are these cars lowered on springs? Worth it or should I go with coil overs?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Here's mine. Its a Prosport Mechanical. Stole it off ebay for ~$35. Pretty happy with it. A little dim during the day. Installed it myself and the vent still works

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Quick pic for now, mostly stock. Intake and exhaust. I want to get a lip and lower it a little as my jetta on coils doesn't make it some places lol :] which leads to another question how are these cars lowered on springs? Worth it or should I go with coil overs?
They lower pretty well with just springs but if you want to tuck, coilovers will take you places lowering springs just can't. But you will end up not being able to go to some places....

I prefer console mounting but the S40's cluster is way to narrow. This is what I did on my R.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think a couple people sank them into the bottom of our bezel, attemping to do what you did Melvin. I don't remember where that thread went.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I think a couple people sank them into the bottom of our bezel, attemping to do what you did Melvin. I don't remember where that thread went.
I must have missed that post because I don't recall seeing it. There were some builds in the R section I remembered.

That looks nice and clean and matches perfect! Yeah I think I'm going to go with springs for now
You can try cutting a coil in the back if you feel it still sits too high, but don't go overboard.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I must have missed that post because I don't recall seeing it. There were some builds in the R section I remembered.
Its entirely possible that I am thinking of an R thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts